Apply for a certificate of matrimonial capacity

A certificate of matrimonial capacity certifies that there are no legal obstacles to an intended marriage. Whether such a certificate is required depends on the law of the country in which the marriage is to take place. As a foreigner marry in Germany: If you wish to marry as a foreigner in Germany, you must present a certificate of matrimonial capacity of the State of which you are a national; this is a requirement of the German law of marriage. In this certificate, the competent home authority must confirm that under your home law there is no legal obstacle to marriage. Nationals of States whose law does not provide for a certificate of matrimonial capacity require, instead, a formal exemption from the obligation to provide the certificate of matrimonial capacity; this exemption is granted by the President of the Higher Regional Court. Please contact the registry office for details. As Germans get married abroad: If you would like to marry abroad as a German or a German, please check with the competent foreign authority if a marriage certificate is required there. The certificate will be issued by the registry office of your German domicile if there are no obstacles to marriage under German law. In this area, due to state treaties, especially with our immediate neighbours, there are some special features that your registry office can inform you about. The above also applies to homeless foreigners, asylum-seekers as well as foreign refugees and stateless persons with habitual residence in Germany.

As a rule, the identity card or passport of the spouse is required. In addition, further documents may be necessary. The best way to get advice is to get advice.