Apply for reimbursement of costs for school transport

In principle, all pupils are entitled to transport pupils if they are resident in Rhineland-Palatinate and the way to school is unreasonable without the use of a means of transport. For upper secondary school pupils, the transport of pupils is only granted if a certain income threshold is exceeded, the amount of which is regulated by a legal regulation. A reasonable own share is to be levied. This is determined by the school transport authorities themselves and can therefore vary in the different counties and district-free cities.

Please ask the school board of the district or the district-free city for any documents to bring. It is also possible that the school itself can provide information on this.

The application forms are provided by the promoters of the school transport (district or district-free city). In the case of applications for the carriage of pupils granted on an income basis (secondary level II), the application shall be supplemented by the relevant income tax assessment.

The school route is not reasonable for the student. This is the case if the footpath between home and primary school is longer than 2 kilometres, longer than 4 kilometres in secondary schools or particularly dangerous in the case of secondary schools. In the case of pupils with special educational needs, the type and degree of disability are also decisive for the reasonableness of the school route. The right to transport pupils refers to the nearest school of the chosen type of school.
Student transport costs will be covered from the date of application. A retroactive grant is not possible. For this reason, the application should be submitted before the beginning of the school year. As a rule, the application must be submitted once for the duration of the school visit. A new application is particularly necessary if the student's domicile changes, the pupil changes school or the mode of transport changes. Changes in the information provided in the application for the carriage of pupils (in particular in the event of a change of residence, change of school, cancellation of school attendance) must be notified to the district administration or city administration without delay. If the conditions for the granting of the costs of transporting pupils were waived (e.B. length of school journey, actual school attendance) are not met, the costs of transport shall be waived from the date on which the change occurred.