License plate: Short-term license plate
You want to carry out a test drive or transfer drive with an unregistered vehicle? Then you need a short-term license plate for this project.
If you want to carry out a test drive to check the usability or a transfer drive with an unregistered vehicle (all motor vehicles and trailers subject to registration number) within the Federal Republic of Germany, you will need a short-term license plate for one-time use.
A short-term registration number can only be issued if the vehicle has an operating permit and a valid main inspection (HU) and, if necessary, a safety test (SP) are available. If one of these conditions is not met, only journeys to obtain the operating licence or an HU/SP to the nearest assessment body in the registration district or an adjacent district and, where applicable, related journeys for repair purposes may be carried out.
The short-term license plate is valid for a maximum of five days. The expiration time is noted on the license plate in a yellow field on the right edge. Thereafter, the vehicle may no longer be operated on public roads with this license plate.
Short-term license plates are generally not valid in other EU countries, but are accepted by some EU states. Whether a Member State accepts the short-term mark should be checked at the respective embassy.
- valid identity card or passport with the original of the last registration certificate of the place of residence; foreign nationals need a valid identity document with a current registration certificate
- a power of attorney if an authorised representative submits the application (the authorised representative's identity card and a copy of the vehicle owner's identity card are required
- Registration certificate Part II (vehicle registration document)
- Proof of the technical data of the vehicle (EC certificate of conformity (CoC paper), data confirmation, certificate of individual approval) if . the decommissioning took place more than seven years ago
- Test report of the last main inspection (HU),
- Insurance confirmation (eVB number)
- additional business registration or excerpt from the commercial register
- in addition, extract from the register of associations and identification of the responsible person(s) entitled to signature (board)
for underage vehicle owners:
- additional declaration of consent of both parents or guardians (if applicable custody judgment) and their identity card/passport with registration certificate
§ 16 Abs. Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung
Annex to § 1 Fee Schedule for Measures in Road Traffic (RFees)
Responsible for the content
Last update or date of publication