Operation of an arcade

You need a permit for the commercial operation of an arcade.

If you want to operate an arcade or a company that is exclusively or predominantly engaged in the installation of gaming equipment or the organization of other games, you need a permit.

To check personal reliability:

  • Certificate of good conduct
  • Information from the Central Trade Register
  • Clearance certificate from the tax office
  • Information from the debtor register

To verify the suitability of the installation site:

  • Floor plan for the operating rooms (for the commercial operation of an arcade)

Hint: Please note that the list is not exhaustive. As part of the review of your individual case, further documents may be required from the competent authority.


Prerequisite for the permit is the legal reliability of the applicant under trade law

The rooms intended for the operation of the gambling hall must be suitable according to their location and condition, i.e. comply with the police and building regulations.

Since 1.7.2012, a gambling permit for the construction and operation of an arcade has been part of the permit according to the Trade Code and is issued by the responsible (trade) authority (concentration effect). The competent licensing authority shall involve the Supervisory and Service Directorate and obtain its approval/approval.


This permission is person- and building-related, so you need a personal gambling hall permit even if you want to take over an existing arcade from someone else. If you are the installer of the playground equipment yourself, you also need an installation permit in accordance with § 33c (1) of the Industrial Code (GewO) and a confirmation of suitability in accordance with § 33c (3) GewO.

Related Links

  • Industrial Code
  • § 33i Industrial Code (GewO)
  • State Gambling Act RLP

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available