Vehicle registration certificate: Change vehicle data (technical change)

Your vehicle is already registered and has been technically modified, e.g. by attaching a trailer hitch, reducing the performance of the motorcycle or similar.

A technical change also exists if the vehicle is to be recoded because it has met a higher emission standard than is entered in the current registration documents since the day of the first registration after a manufacturer's certificate to be submitted.

Certain technical changes must be assessed immediately by the Technical Inspection Centre:

  • Change of vehicle type
  • Change in displacement or power
  • Increase of the maximum speed determined by the design
  • Reduction of the maximum speed determined by the design if it is relevant to the driving licence or if tyres of lower speed classes are to be used
  • Change in permissible axle loads, total weight, payload, saddle, propellant or trailer load
  • Increase in vehicle dimensions, except for passenger cars and motorcycles
  • Change in the number of seats, berths or standing places for buses and coaches
  • Changes in exhaust or noise values where they affect vehicle tax or traffic bans

If the change does not have to be entered in the vehicle documents, this is noted on the corresponding parts approval.

Technical changes must be entered in the vehicle documents by the registration authority in a number of cases (such as the conversion of a vehicle). If the emission standard achieved is improved, the improvement only has an effect on the motor vehicle tax to be paid when it is entered in the vehicle documents.

TIP: Before installation or conversion , ask an officially recognized expert for motor vehicle traffic or a test engineer from a monitoring organization whether the operating permit is impaired or whether the change can be approved at all.


If an entry in the vehicle documents is required, presentation of the vehicle to an officially recognized expert who confirms the proper installation, installation or removal by means of an expert opinion.

The application must be submitted to the licensing authority in person or through a representative authorised in writing.

In all cases

  • Registration certificate Part I (vehicle registration document)
  • Registration certificate Part II (vehicle registration document)
  • in the case of companies, additional business registration or excerpt from the commercial register
  • Identity card or
  • Passport with registration certificate from the residents' registration office
  • or (in the case of foreign citizens) foreign identity card and registration certificate from the residents' registration office

If you instruct a third party to register the change, they will need a written power of attorney from you; in addition, he must present your identity document (in the original) to the admissions office. He himself must have the identity document that applies to him with him in order to identify himself.


(a) in the event of technical modifications:

  • Expert opinion or operating approval of the parts manufacturer (e.g. TÜV, DEKRA, KÜS)
  • Acceptance confirmation from an approved testing organization (e.g. TÜV, DEKRA, GTÜ, KÜS, GTS)
  • Proof of the main inspection
  • in case of change of vehicle type additionally the insurance confirmation (eVB number)

(b) in the event of a change in the pollutant class:

  • Installation certificate from the workshop
  • Type approval for the installed exhaust gas purification system

(c) when retrofitting the cat:

  • Installation certificate for the KAT and the ABE of the KAT

Related Links

  • § 13 Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available