License plate: Export license plate

If an unregistered motor vehicle subject to registration or a motor vehicle without registration and subject to registration and registration plate to which no number plate is assigned is to be permanently moved to another State with its own driving force or a trailer behind a motor vehicle, an export registration plate may be assigned for this purpose.

valid identity card or passport with original of the last registration certificate of the place of residence (foreign nationals need a valid identity document with current confirmation of registration) a power of attorney if an authorised representative submits the application (the authorised representative's identity card and a copy of the vehicle owner's identity card are required Registration certificate Part II or vehicle registration document Insurance confirmation or insurance cover card Test report of the last main inspection (HU) in the case of registered vehicles, additional Registration certificate Part I or vehicle registration document License plates hint: The registration authority may require the presentation of the vehicle for the purpose of identification.

tip: Some EU Member States also tolerate journeys with German short-term license plates. Before they are used abroad, it must be clarified with the foreign representation of the state to which the vehicle is to be transferred whether the use of a German short-term license plate is permitted in the respective country.

Responsible for the content

Last update or date of publication