Maintenance use

Parents are obliged to provide maintenance to their children. If a parent does not live with his child in a household, he or she is obliged to pay the maintenance by means of cash payments. But this parent doesn't always do this. There may be several reasons for this. The question for those affected is how they can proceed here. A child has a legal right to maintenance. The Youth Office, in the form of assistance, can advise and assist children and their affected parents in making the claim. For example, the assistance can help to determine the amount of maintenance payments and possibly also create a title with which one can have the maintenance forcibly stretched. However, the means to be initiated are always individual and can be discussed in a personal conversation.

Advice/Support/Assistance Applicant's identity card Account connection data if applicable Birth certificate of the child Furthermore, all documents that may already exist (such as letters from a lawyer, maintenance titles, etc.) are helpful.


Children receive counselling up to the age of 21.
Advice, support, assistance: The assistance may be set up in person or may be requested by a written request. A personal preface makes sense. For this purpose, an appointment is agreed, which usually lasts 30 to 60 minutes.

Responsible for the content
The Senator for Social Affairs, Youth, Integration and Sport

Last update or date of publication