Granting a residence permit for the family reunification of a foreign parent to a minor German

You can join your German, minor, single child if you come from a country outside the EU or the EEA, have the right to care for the German child and intend to exercise it. Personal care includes the right and at the same time the duty to care for, educate, supervise and determine the child's whereabouts. The child is a minor who has not yet reached the age of 18. Single is one who is not married and has not yet been; even those who live in a registered civil partnership are not single If these requirements are met, you must be granted a residence permit. You can also follow suit with your child if you do not have a personal care right. The prerequisite is that you already have a family life with your child in Germany. A family life is to be assumed if the relatives maintain regular contact with each other, which goes beyond mere visits. If the conditions are met, the authority decides by way of discretion on the granting of the residence permit. Under certain circumstances, the Immigration Office may oblige you to take part in an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit. The residence permit is a temporary residence permit and is issued for at least one year.

Valid passport or passport replacement Current biometric photo Visa, as far as this was necessary for entry Birth certificate of your child If necessary, proof of custody If necessary, proof of the management of the family cohabitation Current registration certificate In individual cases, the Immigration Office may request further documents.

Online procedures occasionally possible Written form required Personal appearance required

You have a recognised and valid passport or passport replacement and, if necessary for entry, a valid visa. Your child is a minor, single and has German citizenship. You have the right to care for your child and want to exercise it or, as a parent who is not entitled to custody, already have a family partnership with the child in Germany. There is no interest in expulsion against you. Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany
§ 28 paragraph 1 sentence 1 number 3 and sentence 4 Residence Act

Related Links

The procedure is as follows: Depending on the immigration office and concerns, an application via the Internet may be possible. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for the residence permit. If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the immigration office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs checked (bring them with you to the appointment). For the production of an electronic residence title (eAT), your fingerprints will be taken. In the event of an electronic application, the Immigration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Immigration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the eAT. If your application is complied with, the Immigration Office will arrange for the eAT to be produced. After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT at the Immigration Office. The eAT must always be picked up in person.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

Last update or date of publication