Granting a residence permit for the family reunification of a foreign spouse to a German

As a spouse or registered partner of a German, you can obtain a residence permit for family reunification if you come from a country outside the EU or the EEA. The prerequisite is that you want to establish or continue a family life in Germany. A family life is usually present if you live with your caregiver in a shared apartment. If there is a lack of living together in a shared apartment, spouses or life partners should maintain regular contact with each other that goes beyond mere visits. Another prerequisite for issuing a residence permit is that your spouse or partner has his habitual residence in Germany. A person has his habitual residence where he has his center of life and not only temporarily stays. As a rule, they should be able to communicate with simple language skills i.e. in a simple way in everyday life on German, for example, ask for directions, shop and introduce themselves. Proof of language skills is not always to be provided. Further information can be obtained from the responsible immigration office. Under certain circumstances, the Immigration Office may oblige you to participate in an integration course when issuing your residence permit. This will then be noted on your residence permit. The residence permit is a temporary residence permit and is issued for at least one year.

Valid passport or passport replacement Current biometric photo Visa, as far as this was necessary for entry Marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate If necessary, proof of simple German language skills (A1 certificate) Current registration certificate Current registration certificate of the reference person in Germany In individual cases, the Immigration Office may request further documents

Online procedures occasionally possible Written form required Personal appearance required

You have a recognised and valid passport or passport replacement and, if necessary for entry, a valid visa. They want to establish or continue the marital partnership or civil partnership with a German. You and your spouse or partner have reached the age of 18. You can prove simple language skills if necessary. Your German spouse or partner is habitually resident in Germany. There is no interest in expulsion against you. Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Note on registered civil partnerships: A civil partnership registered in Germany is recognised. Whether a civil partnership registered abroad has legal effect must be examined by the Immigration Office in individual cases.
§ 28 sec. 1 p. 1 no. 1 AufenthG

Related Links

The procedure is as follows: Depending on the immigration office and concerns, an application via the Internet may be possible. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for the residence permit. If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the immigration office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs checked (bring them with you to the appointment). For the production of an electronic residence title (eAT), your fingerprints will be taken. In the event of an electronic application, the Immigration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Immigration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the eAT. If your application is complied with, the Immigration Office will arrange for the eAT to be produced. After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT at the Immigration Office. The eAT must always be picked up in person.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

Last update or date of publication