Apply for vehicle registration for second-hand vehicles from non-EU countries

Registration of a vehicle that has already been registered abroad (non-EU country) is possible on request. Approval shall be granted by the competent authorisation authority. If you buy a used vehicle abroad or move to Germany with a vehicle registered abroad, you must apply for registration for this vehicle. The registration of a vehicle that was previously registered abroad is more expensive than re-registration or rewriting, as more documents are required.

Completed application forms if necessary valid identity document (identity card or passport of the vehicle owner; on presentation of the passport additionally a current registration certificate) possibly foreign vehicle documents, foreign license plates (if any) Purchase contract/invoice Expert opinion in accordance with Section 21 StVZO or CoC papers (incl. pollutant class / emission key) (the presentation of a COC or a data confirmation by the manufacturer is sufficient only if it is clear from the vehicle documents of the third country that the EC type-approval number for the registration there has been recognised) electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) Bank details for vehicle tax (SEPA direct debit mandate) Proof of investigation in accordance with Section 29 of the Road Traffic Authorisation Regulations (usually main and exhaust gas testing) Customs safety certificate/proof of customs clearance For further information, please contact your local authority. If necessary, other documents, e.B. in the case of representation by a third party: your written authorisation and your identity document (in the original); the authorised representative must be able to identify himself with his valid identity card/passport. in the case of admission to minors: the written consent of the legal guardians and their identity cards (in the original); if necessary, a certificate of sole custody (so-called "negative certificate") for single parents

If you have vehicle tax arrears or have arrears of fees and expenses from previous registration procedures, the registration authority refuses to register until you have paid them. If someone allows your vehicle for you, the agent must present a written authorisation from you. This must also include a declaration of consent that the licensing authority may inform the authorised representative of any outstanding arrbean fees and expenses.
Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV) Charging regulations for road transport measures (GebOSt)

Responsible for the content
Hessian Ministry of Economy, Energy, Transport and Housing

Last update or date of publication