Apply for vehicle registration with a foreign registration plate

If you buy a new or used vehicle abroad or move to Germany with a vehicle registered abroad, you must apply for registration for this vehicle. The registration of a vehicle that was previously registered abroad is more expensive than re-registration or rewriting, as more documents are required.

current identity card or passport SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) if the vehicle is still registered abroad the foreign registration documents and license plates if the vehicle was registered abroad but was deregistered before importing into Germany the foreign registration documents if applicable: Reservation confirmation for the desired number plate Proof of ownership: Purchase contract or original invoice if necessary. VAT return Vehicles whose initial registration in another EU Member State is not more than 6 months ago or whose previous mileage is less than 6,000 km shall be deemed to be new vehicles in accordance with Section 1b of the UStG. Proof of investigation in accordance with Section 29 of the Road Traffic Authorisation Regulations (usually main and exhaust gas testing) - (e.B. from the foreign registration documents) - if the vehicle has been imported from countries outside the EU (applies to both new and used vehicles) in addition: Certificate of safety from the customs office (you can obtain it at the border) in the case of vehicles with EC type-approval: proof of examination in accordance with Section 29 of the Road Traffic Authorisation Regulations (usually main and exhaust gas testing) in the case of vehicles without EC type-approval: expert opinion of an officially recognised expert on motor vehicle traffic or of a technical service designated in accordance with Section 30 of the EC Vehicle Approval Regulation for the testing of all vehicles of the respective vehicle class (full report in accordance with Section 21 road traffic authorisation regulations) For further information, please contact your local authority. If necessary, other documents, e.B. in the case of representation by a third party: your written authorisation and your identity document (in the original); the authorised representative must be able to identify himself with his valid identity card/passport. in the case of admission to minors: the written consent of the legal guardians and their identity cards (in the original); if necessary, a certificate of sole custody (so-called "negative certificate") for single parents

If you have vehicle tax arrears or have arrears of fees and expenses from previous registration procedures, the registration authority refuses to register until you have paid them. If someone allows your vehicle for you, the agent must present a written authorisation from you. This must also include a declaration of consent that the licensing authority may inform the authorised representative of any outstanding arrbean fees and expenses.
Road Traffic Authorisation Regulations (StVZO) Law on the payment of outstanding costs and late payment surcharges for vehicle registration

Related Links

Contact the local licensing authority of your county or county-free city. Locally responsible is the in the case of natural persons, the authority of the vehicle owner's place of residence (main residence according to the identity card), in the case of legal persons, traders and self-employed persons with a permanent registered office or authorities, the authority of the place of business or place of establishment or service involved.

Responsible for the content
Hessian Ministry of Economy, Energy, Transport and Housing

Last update or date of publication