Issuing a certificate of marital capacity for Germans residing abroad

The certificate of marital capacity is issued if it is required for marriage abroad and is issued for Germans with domicile or habitual residence abroad, by the registry office I in Berlin, if you have never/ temporarily resided in Germany.

If they wish to marry abroad, it may be that there is a legal norm in the intended marriage state that requires the submission of such a certificate.

The responsibility for issuing a certificate of marital capacity for this group of persons (German citizens with domicile or habitual residence abroad) is located at the registry office I in Berlin.

  • The requirements, type and format of the evidence to be provided and the examination of the marriage requirements are governed by German law.
  • Public documents must prove:
    • the civil status,
    • the domicile or habitual residence,
    • nationality, and
    • the last marriage and its dissolution or the establishment and dissolution of the last civil partnership.


  • The person must have German citizenship.
  • You must have your domicile and habitual residence abroad
  • The intended marriage should take place abroad
  • Under German law, the intended marriage may not be precluded by an obstacle to marriage

Related Links

  • § 13 Civil Status Act (PStG)
  • § 1309 Abs. 1 Satz 1,2 Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (BGB)

The issuance of a certificate of marital capacity is applied for at the responsible registry office 1 in Berlin. If the examination shows that there is no impediment to the intended marriage under German law and the necessary information on the person of both spouses has been provided, the registry office issues the requested certificate of marital capacity.

Responsible for the content

  • Senator for the Interior, Department 23 Civil Status Law, of the State of Bremen

Last update or date of publication