Certify birth on seagoing vessels
If a child is born during a voyage on a German seagoing vessel, the registry office I in Berlin certifies the birth in its birth register. The skipper records a transcript and forwards it to the registry office I in Berlin.
If a child is born during a voyage on a seagoing vessel entitled to fly the federal flag, there is an obligation to report the birth to the registry office I in Berlin. The parent with custody will report the birth notice to the skipper. If the parents are prevented, any other person who was present at birth is also obliged to report.
in the case of married parents
- birth certificates of the parents, if necessary with translation, legalization or apostille
- marriage certificate or a certified expression from the marriage register, if applicable with translation, legalisation or apostille
in the case of parents who are not married to each other
- Mother's birth certificate, if applicable with translation, legalisation or apostille
if paternity has already been recognised:
- Declaration on the recognition of paternity and the mother's declaration of consent
- Father's birth certificate
- where appropriate, the declaration of custody
everything, if applicable, with translation, legalization or apostille
- Identity card, passport or a recognised passport replacement document of the parents
A marriage certificate and proof of termination of the marriage must also be provided if the marriage has since been divorced or the husband has died within 300 days of the birth of the child.
- Forms: none
- Online service: none
- Written form required:
- Personal appearance necessary: yes
If a child is born on a German seagoing vessel, the notification is mandatory. This applies regardless of the nationality of the parent or child.
Section 37 Civil Status Act (PStG)
Section 31 Civil Status Ordinance (PStV)
Section 33 Civil Status Ordinance (PStV)
- The parent with custody or, in the event of prevention, another person present at birth shall report the birth certificate to the skipper.
- The necessary documents should be attached or submitted at the next opportunity to registry office I in Berlin. Ordered documents can be sent.
Responsible for the content
Senate Administration of Home Affairs and Sport, Division I - State and Administrative Law
Last update or date of publication