Issuing birth certificate for births in former German territories or consular and colonial registers

The birth certificate proves the birth of a person, his first and surname as well as the details of the parents. You can have a birth certificate on the basis of an existing birth register. If the place of birth is outside the Federal Republic of Germany, the birth can be registered with the registry office I in Berlin.

To apply for a birth certificate, you need: in the case of an application by a representative person: written authorisation of the entitled person, their identity card or passport (original or certified copy) identity card or passport of the person representing the certain persons must additionally demonstrate a legal or legitimate interest.

Formual: Online service available: Yes Written form required: no Personal appearance necessary: no

Related Links

Documents of civil status contain personal data, therefore their issuance is subject to data protection restrictions. Applicants (minimum age: 16 years): the person to which the birth certificate refers the spouse or partner /partner (within the meaning of the Registered Partnership Act) Ancestors and descendants of the person concerned Siblings with legitimate interest Other persons, including close relatives such as aunts and uncles, will only receive a certificate if they can establish a legal interest (for example, by a letter from the Probate Court).

In principle, a document can also be applied for in an analogous form, but for reasons of speeding up the processing process, it is strongly advised to use the online application. In addition to yourself, a person of your trust may also order the certificate for you. This requires a written authorisation. By sending the certificate, you will receive a fee notice.

Responsible for the content
Senate Administration for Home Affairs and Sport Berlin, Division 1 - State and Administrative Law

Last update or date of publication