Granting support for pupils Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

BAföG is the abbreviation for Federal Training Assistance Act. BAföG is colloquially referred to as the funding that you can receive under this law. You will receive the funding for financing your school attendance or under certain conditions of a prescribed internship as part of your school attendance. To receive the monthly grant, you must meet a number of requirements. The most important are: Your parents and/or your life partner earn comparatively little. You yourself have no or a low income. Your assets are below the allowance of EUR 7,500. They aspire to graduate full-time. Age limit: 30 years (exceptions are possible) As a student, you will receive the financial support as a grant. You don't have to pay anything back. The amount of your BAföG depends on a fixed monthly requirement. Money is deducted from this need if your parents, your life partner or yourself earn comparatively much. In principle, if you want to obtain a vocational qualification or a further school leaving certificate, you can receive BAföG. If you attend a general education school, however, this only applies from grade 10 and only if you cannot live at home (for example, because you cannot complete the desired degree nearby). The monthly requirement consists of 2 parts: Basic needs: EUR 391.00 if you attend an evening grammar school or college, EUR 243.00 if you attend a vocational school or a technical school that you can attend without completing vocational training, or EUR 439.00 if you attend an evening secondary school, vocational training school, evening secondary school or technical secondary school class that you can only attend with completed vocational training. If you do not live with your parents, you will receive additional accommodation needs: A total of EUR 580.00 if you attend a vocational school or a technical school that you can attend without completing vocational training, or A total of EUR 675.00 if you attend an evening secondary school, vocational training school, evening secondary school or technical secondary school class that you can only attend with completed vocational training. Even if you spend a year abroad during your school years, you can receive BAföG. You will then also receive a travel surcharge for both the outward journey and the return journey: EUR 250.00 within Europe or EUR 500,00 outside Europe. If you are aiming for your school leaving certificate on the 2nd educational path, you will receive parent-independent BAföG. That is, the income of your parents is not taken into account in the calculation. Notes: Child benefit that your parents receive for you will not be taken into account. Interns: BAföG can only be used to support internships that you complete while you are in an apprenticeship that is eligible under BAföG. Only compulsory internships are funded. These are internships that your training plan prescribes, so you have to do in order to complete or carry out the training. Compulsory internships completed abroad are only eligible if they last at least 12 weeks.

Certificate from the school or training centre Copy of the Id Passports or current residence permit If you do not live with your parents: copy the rental agreement or the registration certificate If you do not have family insurance: proof of health and long-term care insurance with legal basis and amount of contributions If necessary, proof of your own income during the approval period, for example Payroll, part-time job, work contract, Orphan's pension notice, Scholarship notice or Riester pension certificate Proof of assets or debts on the day of application, for example bank statement If you have a car: Estimation of the value, for example printing from a website with a comparable offer, and Motor vehicle registration. Depending on the case, further documents may be required. Please follow the instructions in the application forms. The BAföG office responsible for you will request missing documents.

Forms: yes Online procedure possible: yes, with eID or De-Mail Written form required: yes Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

As a pupil or trainee, you attend one of the following types of school: secondary general education and vocational school (including classes of all forms of basic vocational education) from grade 10, if you cannot live with your parents because of your education, Technical and technical secondary school class (without completed vocational training), if you do not live with your parents, Vocational school class or technical school class (without completed vocational training), if it provides a vocational qualification in at least two years of training, Fach- und Fachoberschulklasse (with completed vocational training), Abendhauptschule, Berufsaufbauschule, Abendrealschule, Abendgymnasium und Kolleg or higher technical college or academy. You have German citizenship, You or one of your parents worked in Germany for a certain period of time before starting your training, You yourself would have to have been employed in Germany at least 5 years before. Her parents must have been employed domestically for at least three years during the last 6 years. or you have certain residence permits for international, humanitarian or political reasons and the waiting period or gainful employment that may be required. internship: You will receive BAföG for your school attendance, your training and the internship if this is prescribed by the training regulations and lasts at least 12 weeks for internships abroad.
If you would like to apply for BAföG for your school education online, First, either activate the online ID function of your identity card (eID) or open a De-Mail account. You will need to register for both. The procedure depends on the federal state in which you are completing your training or where your parents are resident. If you wish to submit the application in paper form, go to the BAföG website and download the application forms that concern you. Alternatively, you can also pick up the applications at your Studierendenwerk. If you do not know which forms concern you, you can use the application assistant on the BAföG website: you answer some questions and the assistant will tell you which forms you need to submit. You can fill out and print the forms on the computer or print them out and fill them out by hand. The application must be signed. Add the necessary evidence. Send the completed application forms directly to the office responsible for educational support for you. The Office for Educational Support checks the documents for completeness. If documents are missing, they will be requested. If the application is complete, it will be examined and the decision will be communicated by decision.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Education and Research

Last update or date of publication