Change main residence

If you have several apartments in the country and the status of your apartment has changed (main apartment is now used as a side apartment or secondary apartment is now used as a main apartment without having to move into or out of a new or former apartment), then you are obliged to inform the relevant reporting authority. Main apartment is: If you are married or live in civil partnership: the predominantly used home of the family or the civil partnership. This also applies if you live only temporarily separated from your family or partner. If you are married or live in civil partnership and live permanently separately: your predominantly used apartment. If you are a minor: the mainly used apartment of your parents or foster parents. If these live separately, the main apartment is the apartment in which you mainly live. Only if the predominantly used dwelling cannot be determined beyond doubt, must be based on the focus of life relations. This is evidenced, for example, by the type of housing, personal ties, social and local political activities, as well as membership in associations and other organisations. At the same time, you are obliged to inform the reporting authority which other apartments (side apartments) you have next to the main apartment in Germany. Adjoining apartment is any additional apartment in Germany. You can therefore have a main apartment and several secondary apartments.

Please bring a personal document (e.g. identity card or passport as proof of identity and change of apartment details).

Some reporting authorities offer forms on the Internet. Online procedure possible: basically no Written form required: possible Personal appearance necessary: basically yes If the reporting authority of your place of residence has opened an Internet access for reporting matters, you can provide the necessary information using a qualified electronic signature in accordance with the Signature Act on such access.

They have several apartments in germany. Your previous main apartment will be used by you as a side apartment or your previous secondary apartment as the main apartment.
Personal appearance sit with the competent reporting authority is mandatory.