Elderly caregiverApply permission to hold the job title for foreign degrees Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

The profession of nursing assistant for the elderly is regulated in many federal states of Germany. This means that in order to work without restriction as a nursing assistant for the elderly, you need a state permit. With this permission, you are allowed to hold the job title and work in the profession without restriction. The legal regulations and requirements of the profession differ in the individual federal states. The profession is called different in the individual länder. In Rhineland-Palatinate it is called: "State-certified nursing assistant" or "state-certified care assistant" in Rhineland-Palatinate Even with a professional qualification from abroad, you can obtain permission to hold the professional title from the competent authority (an authority). To do so, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognised. In the procedure, the competent body compares your foreign professional qualification with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. Equivalence is an important condition for the granting of state authorisation. In addition to your professional qualification, you must meet other requirements. For example, you must be healthy and be able to speak the German language. It is important where you have done your training. The procedure for professional qualifications from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland may be different from the procedure for professional qualifications from third countries. Third countries are all non-EU, EEA or Switzerland countries. You can also apply from abroad.

The competent authority will tell you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally: Proof of identity (e.g. your passport or identity card) If your name is changed: Marriage certificate Curriculum vitae in table form and in German (list of your training courses and your professional practice) Proof of your professional qualification (certificate, detailed study and hour overview of theory and practice, Diploma Supplement) A certificate that you are allowed to work in the care of the elderly in your training country Proof of your professional practice in the care of the elderly (e.B. certificates from employers) Proof of your other qualifications (e.B. continuing vocational training, courses, seminars) Registration certificate or proof that you want to work in the state where you apply In the case of professional qualifications from EU/EEA/Switzerland: A certificate from the competent authority in your training country on the equivalence of your professional qualification in accordance with Directive 2005/36/EC ("Certificate of Conformity") A written declaration as to whether and to which body you have already applied for equivalence. If available, the communication received Proof of your Knowledge of German Proof of your personal suitability: Official certificate of leadership of a German authority. Another name for the official certificate of leadership is "Certificate of Leadership Type O". In Germany, you will receive a certificate of leadership from your registration office or citizen's office. The official certificate of leadership should normally be a maximum of 3 months old at the time of presentation. It is also possible to certify from an authority in your home country: for example, an excerpt of criminal records, a Certificate of Good Standing Possibly sufficient: A signed statement that no criminal proceedings are under way against you and will not be investigated against you Proof of fitness for health: A medical certificate or certificate. The proof may not exceed 3 months when you submit the application. The competent authority will inform you which documents you need to submit in the original or as a copy. You must submit your documents in German. This often means that your documents need to be translated. The translations must be made by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised.

You have a professional qualification as a nursing assistant for the elderly or a care assistant from abroad. They are healthy (health suitability). This means that you are mentally and physically healthy and can work in your profession. They are personally suitable for the profession (personal suitability). In other words, they are reliable and have no criminal record. You have sufficient knowledge of German. You usually have to prove the level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

Freedom to provide services As a national of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland with a professional qualification from these countries, you do not need a state permit if you only want to work temporarily and occasionally as a service provider or service provider in Germany. However, special conditions apply: you must report your work to the competent authority before the first activity. The competent authority will inform you exactly about the procedure. Equivalence decision In the permit procedure, the competent body compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification (equivalence test / equivalence assessment). For the outcome of the examination, you may be able to apply for a separate decision (equivalence notice). Electronic application You can also submit your application electronically. You may be able to submit the application directly to the competent authority. In any case, you can submit the application to the Single Contact. The Single Contact Person will help you and forward the application to the responsible body. However, the sending of documents is often only possible if they have been issued or recognised in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland. Procedures for late emigrants As a late emigrant, you can go through the procedure either according to the respective law of the federal state or under the Federal Persons of Displaced Persons Act. You can decide for yourself. Your competent body will advise you on this.
The legal basis varies in each federal state. The relevant technical laws (e..B. vocational school regulations, training and examination regulations for the elderly care assistance, the Care of the Elderly Are applicable. The provisions of the Professional Qualification Assessment Act (BQFG) or "Recognition Laws" of the Länder also apply frequently. All recognition laws can be found here:

Related Links

The procedure may vary from one federal state to another. In most länder, the procedure is as follows: Examination of equivalence They shall submit an application for authorisation to the competent authority. The application is called different in each federal state. The competent body then checks whether you meet all the requirements. A prerequisite is professional qualifications. The competent body compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as a nursing assistant for the elderly. The competent body shall check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification. Possible results of the test If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognised. The authority may confirm the result in writing. You have to meet the other requirements and prove your language skills. Then you will be given permission to take the professional title. If the competent body finds significant differences, you may be able to make up for the differences with your professional practice. You must prove your professional practice. However, your professional practice may not be sufficient. You cannot then compensate for the main differences. The competent body will tell you in writing the main differences and why you cannot compensate for them with your professional practice. However, the competent authority offers you a compensatory measure. If you successfully complete this action, you can compensate for the significant differences. Your professional qualification will then be recognised. Compensatory measures As a compensatory measure, you can choose between an adaptation course and an aptitude test (for professional qualifications from eu/EEA/Switzerland) or a knowledge test (for professional qualifications from third countries). The adaptation course is a practical post-qualification and can last the entire German training period for the profession (12 months). The aptitude test shall only examine the differences identified by the competent body. In the knowledge test, your knowledge is checked in certain subjects and areas. If you complete the adaptation course or pass the aptitude or knowledge examination (and meet all other requirements), you will be granted permission to take the professional title. Remedy The competent authority shall make its decision in writing in a communication. You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be provided in the appeal notice at the end of the decision. We recommend that you speak to the appropriate body before taking legal action against the decision.