Church Entry/ Church Exit Declaration

If you want to be accepted into a religious community, you must express this will to the relevant religious community. The latter will report your accession to the reporting authority. If you wish to leave a religious community that is a body governed by public law, you express this will to the municipal administration of the non-associated municipality, the municipal administration of the association, as well as in towns of the city administration, which are free and large districts. This is a change in religious affiliation under reporting law.

Church entrance: Documents may be required. Please contact the appropriate body. Church exit: identity card or passport or foreign identity card with a registration certificate not older than six months, for married persons and persons living in civil partnership: marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate.

Leaving a church, religious community or community of beliefs can explain who has reached the age of 14. For a person who has not yet reached the age of 14, the legal representative who is entitled to take care of the person (parents, possibly a parent) may declare the departure of the church. In the case of children who have reached the age of 12, the withdrawal cannot be declared against their will.
The declaration of resignation of the church must be made in person before the competent authority. The resulting change in religious affiliation is transmitted electronically by the competent authority to the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt). The employer automatically learns of the church's exit by retrieving the electronic payroll tax deduction characteristics (ELStAM), which are stored at the Federal Central Tax Office. A preliminary consultation with the tax office is therefore not required.

Responsible for the content

Last update or date of publication