Motor vehicle with a foreign registration number from an EU country for temporary participation in road traffic in Germany

With a motor vehicle registered in another Member State of the European Union or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, you may temporarily participate in traffic in Germany. This temporary use is limited in time up to one year.

A valid registration certificate issued by a competent authority of the other Member State or of the other Contracting State. The registration certificate is carried. No regular location in Germany. The vehicle is operationally and roadworthy. The registration certificate is drawn up in German and corresponds in its form to Directive 1999/37/EC or Article 35 of the Convention of 8 November 1968 on Road Traffic. If not, a confirmed translation must also be carried. Motor vehicles registered in another state must carry their domestic registration plates on the front and rear. Motorcycles only need a license plate on the back. Trailers registered in another state must carry their domestic registration number on the rear or, if one is not assigned or issued, the registration number of the towing motor vehicle. Such vehicles must also carry the distinguishing sign of the country of registration (nationality plate), unless this distinguishing sign is already listed on the left edge of the license plate in accordance with European law requirements.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure, Unit LA 23

Last update or date of publication