Applying for compensation for victims of violence Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you suffer damage to your health as a result of an intentional, unlawful assault, for example bodily injury, you can receive benefits under the Act on Compensation for Victims of Violence (OEG) upon request. The supply is granted in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Pension Act and includes in particular the following benefits: Medical and medical treatment, care services Aids (e.B. prosthesis, dentures) Compensation payments for injured parties and survivors Funeral and death grant welfare benefits (e.B. help for care, supplementary help for subsistence) Victims who suffer from acute mental consequences can take advantage of emergency help in the trauma outpatient clinics set up. Compensation for pain and suffering will not be paid. These benefits are based on the degree of consequences of your health damage (degree of damage consequences) and on your needs. Financial losses or non-material damages will not be compensated. This also applies to self-inflicted damage. You may be denied benefits if you, as an injured person, do not contribute to the clarification, for example if you do not file a complaint. Due to a change in the law, foreigners who become victims of an act of violence in Germany can receive the same compensation as German victims of violence retroactively from 1 July 2018.

Written request if available: proof of the act of violence (e.B. copy of police protocol / criminal complaint), proof of damage to health (doctor's report)

In principle, the pension authority of the federal state in which the persons concerned have their place of residence is responsible. This also applies if the act of violence occurred abroad. Please address the application directly to the local competent authority. A list can also be found under the mentioned link.

Related Links

You are the victim of a deliberate unlawful assault or the survivor of a person killed as a result You can prove the assault Your damage to health is due to this attack the health consequences of this damage continue

Since 01.07.2009, a right to care can also exist if the act of violence was committed abroad. However, the benefits under the Victim Compensation Act are subordinate to the benefit claims from other public and private security systems. This also applies to claims for benefits against the state in which the act of violence was committed. Those affected have the opportunity to contact the state in which they were harmed. In the case of an EU Member State, Directive 2004/80/EC on compensation for victims of crime in cross-border cases applies. It provides for national support authorities to assist those affected in making claims for compensation against the EU Member State. In Germany, the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs carries out the tasks of the German Support Authority.
They submit an application to the competent authority for compensation for victims of acts of violence. The competent authority shall inform you of any documents to be submitted. It will examine your case and inform you if and what help you will receive.

Responsible for the content

Last update or date of publication