State-approved educators - Recognition
Do you want to work as an educator? Then you have to be recognized by the state.
Recognising foreign professional qualifications
The equivalence is tested with the degree "State-recognized educator", which is awarded in Rhineland-Palatinate to technical schools for social work, specializing in social pedagogy. If there is no extensive equivalence, it is examined whether recognition is possible for sub-areas in the field of activity of the educator profession (e.g. kindergarten, crèche, after-school care / all-day school, home, youth work). In the event of significant differences, a decision will be taken on compensatory measures, i.e. adaptation periods or aptitude tests at the choice of the applicants. In addition, it is checked whether sufficient German language skills are available for practicing the profession (at least level C1 of the European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- Informal declaration for the purpose of the application (recognition as an educator must be expressly requested.
- informal declaration of all previous applications for professional recognition in Germany,
- Degree certificates with an overview of subjects and grades, if available, preferably with diploma supplement,
- employment references for relevant activities,
- Certificates of German language examinations,
- Identity card or passport, possibly with residence permit,
- if applicable, proof of the name change (e.g. by means of a marriage certificate),
- if applicable, expellee id card or certificate in accordance with the Federal Displaced Persons Act,
- in the case of residence outside Rhineland-Palatinate, proof that the profession is intended to be pursued in Rhineland-Palatinate (e.g. by correspondence with a potential employer in Rhineland-Palatinate.
All copied documents must be officially certified. Foreign-language documents must be submitted in the original language and as a translation by a publicly appointed or court-sworn interpreter.
The application can be made informally.
- Vocational training must be fully completed in the country of origin (final product).
- It must enable the independent and self-responsible education of children and young people outside the classroom, e.g. in day-care centres (kindergartens, crèches and after-school care centres) or in inpatient child and youth welfare facilities (homes) or in extracurricular youth work or in activities at schools outside the provision of lessons (all-day school, special school, focus school).
- The training or the job-related part of the training should have lasted at least three years full-time in the country of origin or correspondingly longer in part-time.
- The level of training shall correspond to at least one certificate within the meaning of Article 11(b) of Directive 2005/36/EC.
If recognition as an educator is not possible:
Applications to daycare centers are still possible. The institution's sponsor (not the applicants!) can apply for an exemption permit from the day-care centre supervisory authority (in the State Youth Welfare Office) in accordance with the provisions of the "Skilled Workers Agreement for Day Care Centres".
In the case of all-day schools, applications must be sent directly to the all-day schools. An up-to-date list can be found on the homepage of the Supervisory and Services Directorate under "www.add.rlp.de" and can be found on the following path: "Schools", "All-day schools", then on the right side "List of all all-day schools in Rhineland-Palatinate".
IQ Landesnetzwerk Rheinland-Pfalz
Professional Qualification Assessment Act Rhineland-Palatinate
State Ordinance on the Recognition of Professional Qualifications for the Professions of Educator, Curative Education Nurse or Curative Education Nurse as well as Curative Pedagogue
- Submission of the application with documents,
- Confirmation of receipt and check for completeness, if necessary additional request for further documents, within one month,
- completion of the application documents,
- a decision within three months of receipt of the complete dossier;
- If compliance with the deadline is not possible, extension of the deadline with justification,
- Decision on equivalence, partial recognition if necessary, determination of compensatory measures if necessary, determination of sufficient German language skills, determination of costs,
- statistical collection.
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available