Ensure water supply

If you are the owner of a plot of land where drinking water is needed, you must have the property connected to the supply facility of the responsible municipality (municipality or special purpose association). This comes at a cost.

The public water supply is a compulsory task, which in principle is incumbent on the municipalities within the framework of their self-administration. They have to supply the population and the commercial and other institutions in their territory with sufficient drinking and service water, but can also delegate these tasks to other bodies under public law (e.B. to special purpose associations). For the municipalities, their own companies or own companies often fulfil the tasks (e.B. municipal utilities).

A supply obligation of the municipalities does not exist,

1. if the supply is not technically possible or because of the disproportionately high effort and
2. for the supply of service water, if it is reasonable for the consumer to restrict or otherwise cover this demand.

If the water supply of the property is via public water supply systems, you must contact the municipality or the responsible water supply company if you have any questions.

You must ask the respective municipality or .dem responsible special-purpose association which documents are required for the specific event. Often they have published on their homepage the corresponding water supply statutes and information on application documents.

  • Forms: on the website of the respective special purpose association / water supply association or the responsible municipality
  • If necessary, online procedures possible: depending on the responsible water supply company
  • Written form required: yes
  • personal appearance necessary: no


Requirements for the connection to the public water supply system and the purchase of water / drinking water are regulated in the water supply statutes of the respective municipality or the responsible special purpose association. The technical requirements must exist or be produced with reasonable effort.

As a rule, you must

  • be the owner of the land to be connected; Heritable building owners or apartment owners are usually equal to the owner, and
  • the property must be close to an operational public utility system.

Related Links

  • ยง 50 paragraph 2 Water Resources Act (WHG)
  • Drinking Water Ordinance (TrinkwV)

Check with your municipality or your special purpose association / water supply association to see if your property is close to an operational public water supply line. Then you can submit an application for the establishment of a drinking water connection. As a rule, the municipality has posted a corresponding application form on its website. Here you will be informed about the most important information and documents to be submitted for the application. You can also obtain forms in paper form from the municipal, official or special-purpose association administration. Often an informal written application is sufficient. An installation company approved for your domestic water supply system must usually be involved in the application process.
The municipality or the special purpose association will inform you about the further procedure after submitting your application.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Agriculture and Environment Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania

Last update or date of publication