Sickness benefit in case of illness of the child Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If your child is under 12 years of age or disabled and needs help and becomes ill, you, as a working mother or working father, have the right to stay away from work for a few days. However, supervision, care or care must be required by a doctor. In addition, there must be no other person living in the household who can take care of the child. For each child, you can be exempted for up to 10 working days per calendar year, and up to 20 working days as a single parent. If the mother and father are both in employment, they can each take 10 days for each child. In total, however, no more than 25 days per year can be used by one parent. For single parents, there is a maximum of 50 working days per calendar year. The right to sickness benefit in the event of illness of the child is that: the parent is a member of a statutory health insurance fund entitled to sickness benefit, the child to be cared for and living in the member's household is covered by statutory health insurance. This can be family insurance, compulsory insurance as an orphan pensioner or voluntary insurance.

The need for exemption from work for the supervision, care or care of the child must be demonstrated by the insured person by means of a medical certificate.

Application forms can be obtained from your health insurance company.

Prolonged illness of the child The right to leave can only ensure the necessary supervision, care or care during the first days of illness. In the event of a prolonged illness, you must ensure that another person takes over these benefits. If you can't find anyone in the private sector, you can also use outpatient care to help you with the home. Severe incurable disease of the child In the case of severe, incurable illness of a child with only a low life expectancy, one of the two parents is entitled to sickness benefit without time restrictions. The claim is linked to the fact that the child has not yet reached the age of 12. However, the entitlement extends beyond the age of 12 if the child is disabled and needs help.