Settlement permit issued for particularly highly qualified specialists

In special cases, highly qualified foreign nationals can obtain a permanent settlement permit immediately after the visa.
Requirements for the settlement permit are:

  • You meet the passport and visa requirements.
  • Your livelihood is secured without you using public funds.
  • There is no reason for expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • They belong to the following groups of people:
    • Scientists with special expertise
    • Teachers or academic staff in a prominent function
  • Their integration into the living conditions of the Federal Republic of Germany is secured
  • Proof of compliance with passport and visa requirements
  • Proof of secure livelihood
  • Proof of professional or scientific qualification
  • Proof that there is no reason for expulsion against you
  • Proof that you do not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany
  • Proof that your integration into the living conditions of the Federal Republic of Germany is secured


Nationals of the Member States of the European Union (EU) have access to the German labour market due to their right to free movement. You can pursue a self-employed activity in Germany within the framework of your right of establishment. The same applies to other nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) and nationals of Switzerland.

Nationals of Bulgaria and Romania are still subject to transitional arrangements for the free movement of workers and the freedom to provide services. You must obtain a work permit from the relevant employment agency before taking up employment.

Family reunification: The spouse and children under the age of majority have a right to family reunification. You are also entitled to pursue gainful employment.
Integration course: Highly qualified students are not entitled to participate in the integration course.

Since 1 September 2011, you will receive the settlement permit in the form of a credit card with additional electronic functions. Further information can be found under "Introduction of the Electronic Residence Permit (eAT)".

Related Links

  • § 5 Residence Act (AufenthG) (General Grant Requirements)
  • § 19 Residence Act (AufenthG) (settlement permit for highly qualified persons)
  • § 44 Residence Ordinance (AufenthV) (fees for the settlement permit)
  • § 284 Social Code Third Book (SGB III) (WORK PERMIT-EU for nationals of the new EU member states)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available