Death abroad Notarization

Deaths abroad can subsequently be entered in the German death register if the deceased

  • has German nationality, or
  • was entitled to asylum, stateless, homeless foreigner or foreign refugee and has usually resided in Germany.

For information on the documents required for the application for a subsequent certification of a death abroad, please contact the registry office. Regularly required are:

  • valid identity card or passport
  • foreign death certificate with translation if necessary with certifications
  • Proof of the marital status of the deceased (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree)
  • Birth certificate of the deceased
  • for naturalized citizens: additional naturalization certificate
  • for persons entitled to asylum, stateless persons, homeless foreigners and foreign refugees: additional proof of special status.

Informal application - Eligible to apply are:

  • the parents of the deceased
  • the children
  • the husband or life partner or the wife or life partner


You are not obliged to have the death abroad re-certified in Germany. The foreign death certificate is also valid as proof of death.

Related Links

  • ยง 36 Civil Status Act (PStG) (births and deaths abroad)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available