Instruction and certification according to the Infection Protection Act (IfSG)

They want to work in the food manufacturing or processing industry, in the food trade or in the catering industry or to become self-employed. In particular, the contagious diseases referred to in Paragraph 42(1) of the IfSG may be transmitted to other people via food. Therefore, the Infection Protection Act prohibits persons suffering from such a disease from certain activities in the food sector. In the implementation of the scheme, it is particularly important to have the self-responsible participation of the persons. In order to ensure that, if you wish to carry out such activities, you are informed of the relevant legal regulations and their obligations, the Infection Protection Act provides that you will be informed accordingly by the health authority before starting your duties. In addition, you must confirm in writing that you have no evidence of a ban on activities. The health board issues a certificate of this. The teachings usually also teach principles of infection hygiene for the handling of food. For the following activities, such prior instruction and certification is necessary if the activity is carried out commercially: Manufacture, treat or place on the market of the following foods if you come into contact with food stuffed foods or necessities (e.g. when cleaning dishes) in such a way that pathogens can be transmitted: Meat, poultrymeat and products thereof Milk and milk-based products Fish, crabs or molluscs and products thereof Egg products Infant and infant food Ice cream and semi-finished products Baked goods with non-baked or heated filling or support Delicious, raw and potato salads, marinades, mayonnaises, other emulsified sauces, food yeasts Sprouts and seedlings for raw consumption as well as seeds for the production of sprouts and seedlings for raw consumption. Activity in kitchens of restaurants and other establishments with or for communal catering. The scheme applies to both employees and self-employed workers. Volunteers may also have a corresponding "commercial" activity. The certificate must be obtained by the health board only once before the first activity is carried out. The certificate is valid nationwide and indefinitely. If you already have a health certificate under the former Federal Health Act, you no longer need a certificate. The old certificates remain valid. For the instruction, you have to make an appointment with your health department. After the instruction, the certificate of participation will be handed over to you.

valid ID with photo (e.g. passport, identity card)

The certificate can be obtained by anyone on request. However, the health office does not issue the certificate as long as a person has evidence of a disease referred to in Paragraph 42 (1) of the IfSG.

Persons who regularly stay in kitchens of restaurants or other communal catering facilities must also take part in a teaching.
Section 43 Infection Protection Act (IfSG)

For the instruction, you have to make an appointment with your health department. After the instruction, you must declare in writing that you are not aware of any facts for a ban on activities. You will then receive the certificate of participation. If there is a suspicion that you are unable to obtain the certificate, for example in the case of a disease that can be transmitted by food, you will not receive the certificate until a doctor has ruled out the suspicion of illness due to an examination.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Health, Unit 323

Last update or date of publication