Family name change due to declaration on the naming of life partners Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

There are many ways to determine the naming of the name. In some cases, special features must also be taken into account (e.g. for naming foreign partners or if there are children born before the civil partnership). Therefore, seek advice from the registry office in these cases. At many registry offices, you can also request a leaflet by phone or e-mail or view or print it on the Internet at your municipality. As a life partner, you can keep your previous names. You also have the option of determining the birth name or actual name of your partner's life partner as the life partner's name when establishing your civil partnership or later _ there is no deadline for this. The name from a previous civil partnership, including a possible companion name, is also considered as a name that is actually in place. You may not change the common partnership name once chosen during the civil partnership.

Id Life partnership certificate

Establishing a civil partnership.

The civil partner whose name does not become a partnership name may precede or add to the partnership name his birth name or the actual name of the life by declaration; the declaration can be revoked at any time.
When establishing the civil partnership, you give an explanation to the registrar as to which name you and your partner want to keep in the future. If you wish to change your name at a later date, please speak to the registry office in person. Foreign civil partners are generally subject to the naming rights of their home country. If (at least) one of the future partners is habitually resident in Germany, there is a right to vote between the law of the State to which the foreign partner belongs and German law.