Establishing a civil partnership for civil partnerships established abroad Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you have established a civil partnership abroad (within the meaning of the Life Partnership Act), you can apply to the registry office of your home town for this to be subsequently certified in the German Civil Partnership Register. Duly issued civil partnership certificates from abroad are generally recognised in Germany. There is no obligation to re-report. However, the subsequent entry in the civil partnership register can be an advantage, because the local registry office can then issue you with a German civil partnership certificate. Any translations and certifications of the foreign document will therefore be omitted in the future.

Certificate of the civil partnership established abroad, if necessary with certification by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalisation by the German diplomatic mission abroad valid identity card, passport or passport where applicable, naturalisation certificate, citizenship card Translations of all documents in foreign language by translators sworn in domestically at birth of life partners in Germany: birth certificates at birth of life partners abroad: birth certificates with certification by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalisation by the German diplomatic mission in the case of a previous civil partnership: Evidence of the establishment and dissolution of all civil partnerships _ for example, life partnership certificates, death certificates, judgments on the dissolution of civil partnerships in the case of a previous marriage: certified copy from the marriage register of the last marriage with notice of dissolution alternatively or in the case of previous marriages abroad: proof of the closing and dissolution of all marriages _ for example, marriage certificates, death certificates, all divorce judgments (full and with note from the court, since when the judgment is final / "Legal status") where appropriate, recognition of foreign divorce by the President of the Higher Regional Court

A civil partnership established abroad can only be entered in the German civil partnership register if it has been validly established. In addition, it must not contradict German law. The post-registration of the civil partnership is possible for: German nationals Stateless, homeless foreigners or foreign refugees habitually resident in Germany Applicants: every life partner both have died: their parents and their children
Details of the modalities and documents that the registry office needs from you can be obtained by telephone in advance. Gather the necessary documents and visit the registry office. The registrar or registrar checks whether the certificate can be confirmed by a German registry office. If the conditions are met, registration in the civil partnership register can take place. If necessary, the registry office will issue you with a life partnership certificate after registering.