Granting a residence permit for the purpose of applying for or studying
Foreigners can be granted a residence permit for the purpose of applying for and studying - including preparatory measures - at a state or state-recognized university or comparable training institution.
Applicants are foreigners who have not yet been admitted to study. The study application, which ends with proof of a study place or by presenting a study place confirmation, may not last longer than nine months.
Preparatory measures are already part of the degree programme and include the preparatory language courses associated with the start of studies in accordance with university law and attendance at the Studienkolleg. As a rule, the period of validity of the residence permit for a course of study and any necessary preparatory measures should not exceed two years, but can be extended if the purpose of residence has not yet been achieved and can still be achieved in a reasonable time.
- Certificate of the purpose of stay (admission to studies or certificate of enrolment and proof of progress in studies
- Proof of financing (e.g. presentation of the income and financial circumstances of the parents, payment of a security deposit to a blocked account in Germany, scholarship contract)
- Proof of health insurance
- Passport (valid at least for the duration of the requested residence permit) for Swiss citizens, a valid identity card is sufficient
- a biometric passport photo
- It must be a study at a state or state-recognized university (university, college of teacher education, art college, university of applied sciences) or at a comparable training institution.
The study must be the main purpose of the stay. This includes all training phases:
- Language course or preparatory college for study preparation
- Language exam
- Internships that prepare for your studies (if recommended or prescribed by the university)
- Studies (basic studies, main studies, internships during studies, intermediate and final examinations)
- Postgraduate, additional, supplementary studies or doctorate
- practical activities following studies (insofar as they are a prescribed part of the training)Ensuring the financing of living expenses (currently at least 659 euros per month the corresponding minimum amounts are published annually by the Federal Ministry of the Interior in the Federal Gazette) and health insurance in Germany.
- Meeting the requirements for access to the desired educational institution. The general school requirements for access to the desired educational institution cannot be made up for in Germany.
Note: During the course of study (main purpose of the stay), employment may be carried out for up to 120 days or 240 half days per year as well as student secondary activities . These must not result in a significant delay in the course of study, which must be carried out within a reasonable period of time.
A change to another purpose of residence is usually not permitted. The purpose of the course of study is generally determined by the specific field of study (course of study and, if applicable, subjects) that is specified in the residence permit. A change of subject is only harmless in the first 18 months (three semesters) after the start of the studies. In the event of a later change of course of study or subject, higher education law must be taken into account. If the change is permitted thereafter, the purpose of the stay will not be affected if the previous academic achievements are credited to such an extent that the total duration of study is extended by no more than 18 months (confirmation by the university).
An unreasonable delay in studies or exceeding the average duration of study (i.e. the standard period of study is not exceeded by more than three semesters) may result in the extension of the residence permit being rejected. The extension must be requested before the expiry of the validity period.
Note: If you have successfully completed your studies, your residence permit can be extended by up to 18 months under certain conditions for the search for a job appropriate to your degree.
Note: The right of free movement of EU citizens and other nationals of the European Economic Area automatically includes the possibility of studying in Germany. The prerequisite is that health insurance protection and livelihood are sufficiently secured. The same applies to the right of residence of Swiss nationals.
The stay is always allowed for a limited period of time and with indication of the purpose of the stay. If the purpose of the stay changes, you must report this to the competent authority immediately. You must apply for the extension of the residence permit in good time before the expiry of the validity period.
§ 3 Act on the Residence, Employment and Integration of Foreigners in The Federal Territory (AufenthG)
§ 4 Act on the Residence, Employment and Integration of Foreigners in The Federal Territory (AufenthG)
§ 5 Act on the Residence, Employment and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory (AufenthG)
§ 16 Act on the Residence, Employment and Integration of Foreigners in The Federal Territory (AufenthG)
§ 39 - 41 Act on the Residence, Employment and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory (AufenthG)
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available