Private university: Recognition Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you want to run a private (non-state) university as a free agency, you need state recognition by the ministry responsible for higher education. Only state-recognised higher education institutions may have a corresponding designation (university, university, university of applied sciences), take university examinations and award university degrees. The establishment of a foreign higher education institution, with the exception of foreign higher education institutions within the scope of Community law of the European Union, also requires state recognition by the competent ministry.

In the course of the recognition procedure, it is important that appropriate documents and concepts prove the conditions for State recognition. The documents do not need to be available at the time of the initial request; the relevant unit of the Ministry will then provide detailed information. An application from the institution of the university can only be accepted if it provides a conclusive statement of how the legal requirements are to be met.

In addition, reference should be made to the "Guide to Institutional Accreditation" of the Council of Science and Humanities (including "criteria for institutional accreditation of non-governmental universities").