Proof of expertise in the arms trade through examination

As part of the licensing procedure for the commercial arms trade, you must prove the appropriate expertise. To do this, you take a specialist examination at the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK).

Usually, the test is carried out by order of the authority to which you have applied for the weapon permit and cannot be applied for separately.

Depending on the scope of the trade permit you apply for, the exam includes certain categories of weapons.

In the theoretical part of the examination, you must prove knowledge of the regulations on the trade in firearms and ammunition, the acquisition and carrying of firearms as well as the basic features of the other gun law regulations.

In the practical part of the test, you must prove the safe handling of the tested weapon categories. This includes, among other things, disassembling and assembling, naming essential parts and describing how they work.

In order to successfully pass the specialist examination for the trade in weapons and ammunition, you need not only theoretical but also practical knowledge. Therefore, extensive preparation is recommended.

If you have applied for a permit to trade in ammunition, the treatment of the common ammunition and its use in the associated firearm will be examined.

As a master can registered in the register of craftsmen, you already have the expertise and do not have to prove it again by means of an examination at the IHK.

  • If applicable, notification to the competent authority of the trading authorisation that the examination is to be carried out
  • Official photo ID for identification during the examination
  • Forms: as a rule, you will receive all the necessary forms from the authority issuing an arms trade permit, in some cases also directly from the Chamber of Commerce and Industry
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form requirement: no
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes


- as a rule, the authority with which you have applied for the arms trade permit must register or pre-register you for the examination

  • Based on information from the Federal Ministry of the Interior

Related Links

  • § 22 paragraph 1 Weapons Act (WaffG)
  • § 15 and § 16 General Weapons Act Ordinance (AWaffV)

Normally, you apply for the permit to trade in weapons and are then reported for examination through the competent licensing authority. At some chambers of commerce and industry you can or must register yourself.

  • As a rule, you will receive a notification from the authority responsible for the trading permit that the examination is to be carried out.
  • Your registration will be confirmed by the IHK and you will receive an invitation to the exam date
  • You take the exam on site at the IHK
  • You will receive the certificate of the successfully passed specialist examination by the Chamber of Industry and Commerce

With the re-reference of the specialist knowledge, you can continue the approval procedure for the arms trade.

Responsible for the content
Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce

Last update or date of publication