Private university: recognition Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you want to operate a private (non-governmental) university as a free agency, you need state recognition from the ministry responsible for higher education. Only state-recognised universities may use a corresponding designation (university, university, university of applied sciences), take university examinations and award university degrees.

The establishment of a foreign university also requires state recognition by the ministry responsible for the subject. Establishments of state or state-recognised higher education institutions from Member States of the European Union could be considered recognised under certain conditions, their establishment must be notified six months in advance.

In the course of the recognition procedure, it is important that appropriate documents and concepts prove the conditions for State recognition.

The documents do not need to be available at the time of the initial request; the relevant unit will then provide details. An application by the institution of the university can only be granted if it conclusively sets out how the legal requirements are to be met. The previous institutional accreditation in the context of a concept examination and the course accreditation are significant.


In addition, reference should be made to the "Guide to Concept Examination" of the Science Council.

  • Leitfaden der Konzeptprüfung nichtstaatlicher Hochschulen in Gründung

Related Links

  • § 64 Niedersächsisches Hochschulgesetz (NHG)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication