Register as a debt collection service provider
Register in the Legal Services Register if you want to provide collection services on a business-like basis.
Anyone wishing to provide business collection services must register this activity in the Legal Services Register. A collection service is the collection of third-party or for the purpose of collecting claims assigned for the account of others if the debt collection is operated as an independent business.
Registration may be subject to conditions or subject to conditions. Requirements may be imposed or amended at any time by the competent authority.
Without registration in the Register of Legal Services, legal services in connection with another activity are permitted if they are part of the occupational or activity profile as an ancillary service. Legal services provided in connection with one of the following activities are considered to be permitted ancillary services:
- Execution of wills,
- Property and apartment management,
- Funding advice.
Announcement platform for out-of-court legal services
- Summary of the vocational training course and the previous exercise of the profession
- Certificate of good conduct for authorities (document type O)
- Declaration as to whether insolvency proceedings are pending or whether an entry in a list of debtors in accordance with § 26 (2) of the Insolvency Code (InsO) or in accordance with § 882b of the Code of Civil Procedure (ZPO) has been made in the last three years before the application was filed
- a declaration as to whether registration or admission to the bar has been refused, withdrawn or revoked or whether an exclusion from the legal profession has taken place in the three years preceding the application and, if so, a copy of the decision;
- Documents proving practical competence: Job references / other certificates of previous practical activity or qualification as a judge according to the German Judges Act (DRiG)
- Documents for proof of theoretical competence: Certificate of successfully passed competence course, written supervisory work and its evaluation as well as a detailed description of the contents and course of the course or certificate of the first examination according to § 5d Abs. 2 of the German Judges Act (DRiG)
- Proof of professional indemnity insurance (minimum sum insured 250,000 euros for each insured event)
- If a qualified person is also specified: documents showing that the qualified person is permanently employed in the company, is independent of instructions and authorized to issue instructions and has the right to represent him externally
§ 26 Insolvency Code (InsO)
German Judges Act (DRiG)
- Application forms can be found on the announcement platform for out-of-court legal services
- Online application for NAVO
- Written form requirement: yes
Application forms on the announcement platform for out-of-court legal services
It is possible to register who
- personally suitable for the exercise of the activity and
- is also reliable and beyond
- has a special expertise (theoretical and practical) and proves this by documents.
Important benchmarks for the required reliability are
- the previous life (in particular any criminal offences) and
- the economic conditions.
Registration may be made subject to conditions or subject to conditions if this is necessary for the protection of legal seekers or legal transactions.
In the area of debt collection services, the obligation is to be imposed to forward third-party funds immediately to a person entitled to receive them or to pay them into a separate account.
Anyone established in the European Economic Area (EEA) for the purpose of practising a profession related to the provision of legal services may, under certain conditions, exercise this profession as a temporary legal service in Germany.
§ 10 paragraph 1 no. 1 Legal Services Act (RDG)
§ 13 sec. 1 sentence 3 and sec. 2 sentence 1 Legal Services Act (RDG)
§ 19 Legal Services Act (RDG)
§ 6 paragraph 1 sentence 1 Legal Services Ordinance (RDV)
§ 32 Ordinance on the Regulation of Jurisdiction in the Jurisdiction and the Administration of Justice (ZustVO-Justiz)
§ 5 Legal Services Act (RDG)
§ 12 Legal Services Act (RDG)
§ 16 Legal Services Act
As soon as all the conditions have been fulfilled and all the evidence and provided, the competent authority shall register and arrange for its public publication in the Register of Legal Services.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Justice
Last update or date of publication