Annulment or "divorce" of the civil partnership
If you want to end your civil partnership, you can apply for the termination of your civil partnership.
A civil partnership can be annulled by the court under certain conditions.
To apply to the competent local court family court please contact a lawyer. Your life partner does not need legal representation if he or she agrees to the annulment and does not want to file any applications himself or herself.
In court proceedings, it is examined whether one of the grounds for annulment exists.
As a rule, the following must be submitted for this purpose:
- Your photo ID
- the marriage certificate in the original or in a certified copy
Please seek legal advice on what documents your lawyer needs from you.
- They have been living apart for a year and both want the repeal or
- it cannot be expected that a partnership between you can be restored, or
- You have already been living apart for three years or
- You have not yet lived apart for a year, but the continuation of the partnership would be an unreasonable hardship for you for reasons that lie in the person of the other.
Section 269(1)(1) of the Act on Proceedings in Family Matters and in Matters of Voluntary Jurisdiction (FamFG)
§ 15 Civil Partnership Act (LPartG)
§ 270 Act on Proceedings in Family Matters and in Matters of Voluntary Jurisdiction (FamFG)
§ 111 No. 11 Act on Proceedings in Family Matters and in Matters of Voluntary Jurisdiction (FamFG)
§ 122 Act on Proceedings in Family Matters and in Matters of Voluntary Jurisdiction (FamFG) on Territorial Jurisdiction
§§ 58 et seq. act on proceedings in family matters and in matters of voluntary jurisdiction (FamFG) in the event of a complaint
Your lawyer must apply to the family court for annulment on your behalf.
- The court will serve the application for annulment with your life partner. There is no obligation for a lawyer to approve the divorce application.
- At the hearing on the application for annulment, the life partners are usually heard in person on the conditions for annulment.
- If the conditions for annulment are met, the family court will issue a decision annulling the civil partnership.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Justice
Last update or date of publication