Registration for new vehicle

The registration of a brand-new vehicle (first registration) is carried out on application by the registration authority. Registration is carried out by the assignment of a license plate and the issuance of a registration certificate.

Vehicles may only be put into service on public roads if they are approved for traffic. Registration shall be granted by the registration authority on application if the vehicle conforms to an approved type or if an individual approval has been granted and if there is civil liability insurance for the use of motor vehicles. Registration is carried out by the assignment of a license plate and the issuance of a registration certificate.

The registration of a brand-new vehicle is referred to as the first registration.

  • If applicable, completed application forms
  • valid identity document (identity card or passport of the vehicle owner; upon presentation of the passport additionally a current registration certificate)
  • Registration certificate Part II (vehicle registration document) or type approval (in the case of un-registered vehicles)
  • the EC Certificate of Conformity (CoC))
  • Proof of ownership (purchase contract or invoice)
  • Insurance confirmation (eVB number)
  • Bank details for vehicle tax (SEPA direct debit mandate)

For further information, please contact your local licensing authority.

If necessary, e.B. additionally present:

  • in the case of representation by a third party:
    Your written power of attorney and identification document (original); the authorised representative must be able to identify himself with his valid identity card/passport.
  • if admitted to minors:
    the written declaration of consent of the legal guardians and their identity cards (in the original); if applicable, a certificate of sole custody (so-called "negative certificate") for single referred to
  • in the event of changes to the vehicle: an expert opinion in accordance with § 21 StVZO (Road Traffic Registration Regulations, full acceptance). For this purpose, an operating permit must be applied for separately)


If you have any questions, please contact your local licensing authority.

Since 01.10.2019, it has been possible for private individuals to carry out new registrations online. Please note that other requirements (§ 15i f. FZV) must be met here.

If there are vehicle tax arrears or if you have arrears of fees and expenses from previous registration processes, the registration authority refuses registration until you have paid them.

If someone registers your vehicle for you, the authorised representative must provide a written power of attorney from you. This must also include a declaration of consent that the licensing authority may inform the authorised representative of any arrears of fees and expenses.

Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO)

Related Links

  • Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)
  • Scale of charges for road transport measures (RFees)

You can submit the application for admission in person or appoint a representative with your written power of attorney.

If an application form is necessary, you can obtain it in advance from the admission authority and fill it out at home. Depending on the offer of your admission authority, a download form or an online service is available via the Internet.

If you would like to reserve a desired license plate, this can be done in person, in writing and/or by telephone as well as as as an online service via the Internet before the new registration, depending on the offer of the registration authority.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation

Last update or date of publication