Apply for funding for owner-occupied residential property

If you want to build, acquire or modernize a home/condominium, you can take advantage of housing subsidies if the prerequisites are met. The country in which you want to implement your project is responsible for social housing promotion.

By providing grants, your state can help you create or modernize a home or condominium. The apartment must be intended for use by you and your household members.

You do not have a legal claim to funding for your project.


  • the new building,
  • the acquisition,
  • modernization
  • the energy-efficient modernisation of owner-occupied residential property


  • Households with at least one child who has not yet reached the age of 15,


  • Households that include at least one person with disabilities (persons with a degree of disability of at least 50 and persons in need of assistance and care with care level 2 or higher).

The prerequisite for eligibility is that your income and the income of the household members do not exceed the income limits set in accordance with state law.

Funding is provided in accordance with the provisions of state law by granting non-repayable grants and/or low-interest loans.


  • The applicant is not only temporarily staying in Germany and is able to run an independent household for a longer period of time.
  • The current expenses for the owner-occupied residential property can be borne in the long term.
  • In addition, in the promotion of new construction and acquisition, the household must live in inadequate housing conditions
  • In the case of new construction projects, the applicant must own a suitable building plot.
  • In the case of modernization, the living space must meet the usual housing needs after modernization.
  • In the case of energy-efficient modernisation, the level of a new building based on the EnEV must be achieved (KfWEffizienz 100).
  • An equity portion of usually 15% of the total costs is to be included in the financing of the property. Own contributions can be credited.
  • Funding is provided with initially interest-free loans
  • The funding conditions in detail result from the internet offer of the Investitions- und Förderbank Niedersachsen

Related Links

  • Housing Premium Act (WoPG)
  • You apply for a loan for property promotion at the housing promotion agency responsible for your construction site (Hanover region, districts, district-free and large independent cities as well as independent municipalities)
  • There you will find all application forms and further information
  • The procedure from the application to the funding decision is based on numbers 45 to 47 Housing Promotion Determination (WFB)

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry for the Environment, Energy, Building and Climate Protection

Last update or date of publication