Vehicle registration plate Allocation season number plate Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Seasonal license plates are intended for vehicles such as motorcycles, convertibles or motorhomes that are only used at certain times of the year. Their owners or owners can thus avoid frequent logging in and out of the way. The insurance cover and the obligation to pay contributions are suspended during the period outside the operating period. The operating period is given at the right edge of the number plate (e.g. 05/11 = the vehicle may be used from May to November).

  • current identity card or passport with registration confirmation - not older than 3 months
  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) in accordance with Section 23 vehicle registration ordinance (FZV) with indication of the season period
  • Approval certificate Part I
  • Registration certificate Part II or type-approval (for vehicles free of registration but subject to registration plates)
  • Test report of the last valid main investigation (HU)
    • no applicable for vehicles whose first main inspection was not yet due
  • previous license plates
  • if necessary, reservation confirmation for the desired number plate
  • SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of vehicle tax
    • This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder in the case of approval, including by third parties. In the event of a different account holder/account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and by the account holder. The specified bank details must be proven.
    • Alternatively:
      • Certificate stating that the Main Customs Office waives the collection of motor vehicle tax or
      • Proof of exemption
  • certificate of deregistration/decommissioning before 1 October 2005, where appropriate

in addition, in the case of completion by third parties:

  • informal written authorisation of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered

for companies additionally:

  • Extract from the Commercial Register or Commercial Register
  • the identity documents of the responsible person entitled to sign (Managing Director, Authorized Representative) and their power of attorney

Related Links

  • § 23 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV)

You must submit the application in person or through a written authorised person (e.g. car dealer). If an application form is necessary, you can obtain it in advance from the competent authority and fill it out at home. A download form or online service may be available over the Internet. Your insurance will be automatically informed by the competent authority about the allocation of the seasonal indicator. The vehicle shall be presented to the competent authority, provided that the latter does not do so.


If you change the season period, you will need a new insurance confirmation and new signs (but no new license plate, i.e. no other letter or number combination) for the vehicle.

If you wish to reserve a desired number plate, this can be done in person, in writing or by telephone, as well as as an online service via the Internet, depending on the offer made by the competent authority, even before the new registration.

Related Links

  • § 9 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV)

When you register the vehicle, you specify once the period during which you want to use the vehicle, at least 2 to a maximum of 11 months per year. Outside this operating period, the vehicle must be on private land (e.g. in a garage).

The license plates can be manufactured during the issue of the season license plate. To do this, contact the private providers, who are usually located near the relevant authorities. The cost of the signs is not included in the fees. The seasonal markings are stamped by the competent authority, i.e. with badges for the main examination (HU) and the registration district.

Responsible for the content
AG Municipal editorial staff

Last update or date of publication