Church Resignation Declaration

The withdrawal from a church, religious community or community of beliefs must be explained to the competent authority.

  • Identity card or passport
  • if available: baptism certificate


  • over 14 years of age
  • Persons who have not yet reached the age of 14:
    • The legally represented person who is responsible for the care of the person (parents, possibly a parent) can declare the departure of the church.
  • Children who have reached the age of 12
    • Withdrawal cannot be declared against their will.

Related Links

  • Kirchenaustrittsgesetz (KiAustrG)

The declaration of withdrawal must be made in person.

The notification change in religious affiliation is transmitted electronically by the competent authority to the tax administration. The employer automatically learns of the church exit by retrieving the electronic payroll tax deduction characteristics (ELStAM), which are stored by the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt).

A consultation with the tax office is therefore no longer necessary, the employee must inform the employer accordingly.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Home Affairs and Sport

Last update or date of publication