Birth Ad Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

The birth of a child must be notified to the competent authority in whose jurisdiction it was born.
In the case of births in clinics or other obstetric facilities, the notification is made by them.

Other provisions apply to the display of a home birth.

  • in case of married parents
    • Birth certificate n
    • marriage certificate or a certified imprint from the marriage register,
  • in case of parents who are not married to each other
    • Birth certificate of the mother
    • if paternity has already been recognised:
      • Declarations on the recognition of paternity
      • Birth certificate of the father
      • if necessary, the declarations of custody
  • Identity card, passport or a recognised passport replacement document of the parents
  • a birth certificate issued by a doctor or midwife/nurse, provided that they were present at birth.

A marriage certificate must also be presented if the marriage has already been dissolved.


On the basis of the certificate carried out in the birth register, a birth certificate may be issued on request.

Related Links

  • §§ 18 ff. Personenstandsgesetz (PStG)
  • § 33 Verordnung zur Ausführung des Personenstandsgesetzes (PStV)

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Home Affairs and Sport

Last update or date of publication
No information available