Marriage registration Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Anyone wishing to marry in Germany must notify the competent authority of the intended marriage orally or in writing.

Information on the conduct of the marriage is also provided by the competent authority in a personal interview.

Specific information on marriage includes benefits:

  • Enforcement with a foreign partner
  • Execution with divorced or widowed partner
  • Enforcement with a partner with custody

Documents are required. Please contact the appropriate body.


Both partners should appear in person. If one of the spouses is prevented, the latter may authorise the other spouse in writing. If both spouses are prevented from appearing at the competent authority for important reasons, they may also notify the marriage in writing or by an agent/representative.


The marriage can also be concluded by a registry office in another place. However, registration is always made with the competent authority.

Related Links

  • §§ 11 ff. Personenstandsgesetz (PStG)
  • §§ 28, 29 Verordnung zur Ausführung des Personenstandsgesetzes (PStV)
  • § 1310 Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (BGB)

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of Home Affairs and Sport

Last update or date of publication
No information available