Apply for an extension of a residence permit to look for a job for qualified specialists with vocational training Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

As a professional with vocational training who has already received a residence permit to look for a job, you can apply for the extension of the residence permit up to a maximum total duration of six months.

You have already received a residence permit to look for a job for skilled workers. This residence permit can be issued for a total of up to six months. If this 6-month period has not yet been exhausted, you can apply for an extension of your residence permit - provided that you continue to secure your livelihood.

With the residence permit to look for a job, you can exercise a trial employment, which the qualification qualifies, for up to ten hours a week.

In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the presentation of the same documents as for the first issue:

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport replacement)
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Original training certificate / certificate of successful completion of vocational training
  • In the case of a foreign professional qualification:
    • Training certificate / training certificate together with German translation
    • Decision on the determination of equivalence of the foreign professional qualification with a domestic qualified vocational training, if available
  • In the case of regulated professions: licence to practise a profession or a commitment to grant the profession
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of livelihood security (e.g. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

Forms available: No

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: Yes


For the extension of the residence permit, you must meet the same conditions as when the residence permit was issued for the first time, i.e.

  • You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
  • You own
    • a domestic qualified vocational training or
    • an equivalent foreign professional qualification.
  • The subject of your job search must be the exercise of a qualified employment for which you are qualified on the basis of your professional qualifications.
  • You have German language skills that correspond to the desired activity. As a rule, German language skills are required at least at level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • If employment in a regulated for example medical profession is sought, a professional license must already be granted or promised.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without using public services.
  • The maximum duration of the residence permit of six months has not yet been exhausted.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.


An extension of the residence permit beyond the maximum period of six months is excluded if no adequate gainful employment could be found within the validity period. A residence permit to look for a job for qualified specialists with vocational training can only be reissued if the foreigner has stayed abroad for at least as long as he has previously resided in Germany after his departure.

The residence permit does not entitle you to pursue a self-employed activity.

Related Links

  • § 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG) - Extension of the residence permit
  • § 20 paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG) - Job search for skilled workers with vocational training
  • Find out whether your immigration office makes it possible to apply online or provides a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online applications, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and your documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, to the appointment).
  • If your request is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence permit (eAT card). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.

If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication