Apply for an extension of a residence permit for the purpose of employment for (formerly) qualified tolerated persons Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Foreigners who, as former tolerated persons, have obtained a residence permit to work can apply for an extension of their temporary residence permit.

You can apply for the extension of your residence permit for qualified tolerated persons issued for the purpose of employment if you want to continue to work and continue to meet the other requirements. In principle, the same conditions must be met for the extension of the residence permit as when it was first issued. In particular, you must be able to secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without using public services.

To process your application, the Foreigners' Registration Office usually involves the Federal Employment Agency, which checks the working conditions. After two years of possession of the residence permit and if during this period an employment corresponding to the professional qualification has been exercised, access to the labour market is no longer subject to any restrictions.

In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.

In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the presentation of the same documents as for the first issue:

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport replacement)
  • Current biometric photo in passport format (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of completed training (e.B university degree, certificates of completed vocational training)
  • For foreign university degrees:
    • Decision on the recognition or comparability of the university degree, if available
    • Certificate assessment of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), if available
  • Employment contract or the "Declaration of Employment" form completed and signed by the employer (see forms).
  • Proof of previous activities (e.B. employment references, employment contracts), if available
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of livelihood security (e.g. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: Yes


In principle, you must meet the same conditions for the extension of the residence permit as when the residence permit was issued for the first time, i.e.

  • You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement).
  • You have in the Federal territory
    • completed qualified vocational training in a state-recognised or similarly regulated training occupation or university studies, or
    • with a recognised foreign university degree or a foreign university degree comparable to a German university degree, employment appropriate to their degree for at least two consecutive years, or
    • have been in unskilled employment without interruption for at least three years and have not been dependent on public funds within the last year (with the exception of benefits to cover the necessary costs of accommodation and heating).
  • You have sufficient German language skills at least at level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • You can submit a specific job offer or a contract (proof of the specific job offer is provided by the form "Declaration of employment").
  • You have sufficient living space for yourself and your family.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to the exercise of employment.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without using public services.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany

  • Information portal for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications
  • Central Office for Foreign Education

Related Links

  • § 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG) - Extension of the residence permit
  • § 19d Residence Act (AufenthG) - Residence permit for qualified tolerated persons for the purpose of employment
  • Find out whether your immigration office makes it possible to apply online or provides a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online applications, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and your documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, to the appointment).
  • If your request is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence permit (eAT card). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.
  • If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.

Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication