Apply for an extension of the residence permit to participate in the European Voluntary Service Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you have a residence permit to participate in a European voluntary service for a period of less than one year and wish to continue the voluntary service, you can apply for an extension of your residence permit.

As a participant in the European Voluntary Service, you have been granted a residence permit. If the host institution agrees with you in writing to extend the service, your residence permit can also be extended.

The prerequisite is that the maximum period of issue of the residence permit of one year has not yet been exhausted.

If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you will also need the consent of your legal guardian for the extension.

In addition to participation in voluntary service, the exercise of additional employment is not permitted

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport replacement)
  • Initial agreement with the host body for the implementation of the European Voluntary Service (with job description, details of the duration of the voluntary service, working hours, working conditions, supervision, remuneration and any training included) and written agreement on the extension of the service
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Before the age of 18: Consent of the persons entitled to custody

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may request further documents.

Forms available: No

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: Yes


  • You have a recognized and valid identity document (for example, passport or passport replacement)
  • They are already doing a European Voluntary Service, the duration of which was originally agreed to be less than one year.
  • You have agreed with the receiving institution to extend your service for a maximum duration of one year.
  • There is no legally regulated reason for refusal (for example, you should not be one of the persons enjoying international protection in Germany who have applied for international protection, whose deportation is temporarily suspended or who have been granted temporary protection; nor should the institution hosting you have been established solely for the purpose of facilitating the entry and residence of foreigners).
  • You have sufficient health insurance coverage.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.


An extension of the residence permit beyond a total period of one year is not possible.

Related Links

  • § 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG) - Extension of the residence permit
  • § 19e Residence Act (AufenthG) - Participation in the European Voluntary Service
  • § 14 paragraph 1 number 1 Employment Ordinance (BeschV) - Other occupations
  • Directive (EU) 2016/801 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 May 2016 on the conditions of entry and residence of third-country nationals for research or study purposes, for the completion of a traineeship, for participation in voluntary service, pupil exchange programmes or educational projects and for the pursuit of an au pair activity
  • Find out whether your immigration office makes it possible to apply online or provides a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of online applications, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and your documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, to the appointment).
  • If your request is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence permit (eAT card). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions Bundesdruckerei to produce the eAT card. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be collected in person.

If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication