Apply for maintenance of a pavement crossing/access road
Sidewalk crossings to state and district roads outside the access area of the local thoroughfares are in principle special uses subject to approval.
A sidewalk crossing or an access road is the connection of adjacent properties or non-public paths with a road intended or suitable for use with vehicles.
Outside the passage through the village, access roads generally represent a special use subject to authorisation. In urban areas, access roads are the outflow of the common use of the road and therefore do not require a permit.
Both in and out of town, no special use permit is required for pure maintenance measures on an existing access road. However, the access road owner must obtain the consent of the road construction authority if road construction facilities are to be structurally modified during the maintenance of the access road or if structural measures are to be taken on the road property.
The respective municipality is responsible for access roads in the city, and the respective carrier of the road construction load, i.e. the road construction authority acting on its behalf, is responsible for access roads outside the city. The Lower Saxony State Authority for Road Construction and Transport (NLStBV) is responsible for state roads and district roads in the districts of Friesland, Wittmund, Northeim, Goslar, Hameln-Pyrmont, Schaumburg, Hildesheim, Cloppenburg, Diepholz, Nienburg, Ammerland, Oldenburg, Wesermarsch. Here, the responsibility for the administration of the state roads and the above-mentioned district roads is regionally divided into 13 business areas of the NLStBV (for the area of responsibility of the NLStBV see link under further information).
For work in the area of public roads, a traffic authority order may also be required under certain circumstances. Please inquire here in advance with the responsible traffic authority whether a traffic authority permit is necessary for your construction project.
- Notification of planned maintenance work to the competent authority
- Please ask the municipality responsible for you or the regional division of nlStBV whether and which other documents you have to submit.
- Forms: none
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: no
Pure maintenance measures on an existing access road must be reported to the respective road construction authority if road construction facilities are to be structurally changed during the maintenance of the access road or if structural measures are to be taken on the road property.
The road construction authority then gives its consent, taking into account road construction and traffic concerns.
- Information on access roads on state roads can be found in the guidelines for the use of federal trunk roads in the construction load of the federal government (so-called usage guidelines), which also apply to the state roads in Lower Saxony. The usage guidelines are published on the website of the Federal Ministry of Transport.
- Information on the area of responsibility of the 13 regional divisions of NLStBV can be found on the website.
Website of the Federal Ministry of Transport
Website of the NLStBV
§§ 18, 20 Lower Saxony Road Act (NStrG)
Pure maintenance work on access roads outside and in the city must be reported to the competent authority in advance and their consent must be obtained.Please ensure that you inform the authority of maintenance measures at an early stage.
- In the case of extensive measures, it may be advisable to carry out a site visit in advance with the responsible road construction authority and the respective road maintenance department.
- The competent authority then checks whether the planned maintenance work is compatible with road construction concerns.
- If necessary, the responsible road traffic authority must also be involved.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony State Authority for Road Construction and Transport
Last update or date of publication