Apply for entry in the EMAS register
To complete the EMAS certification, you can have your organisation registered in the EMAS register.
EMAS (Eco-Management and Audit Scheme) is a Community scheme of the European Community for environmental management and auditing. This tool helps organisations to improve their environmental performance. The introduction of EMAS is not required by law.
EMAS begins with an inventory , the so-called environmental assessment, and leads through the establishment of an environmental management system ( processes, organization, responsibilities ) with documentation to the preparation of an environmental statement.
Finally, an approved environmental verifier verifies the system in place and the information contained in the environmental statement.
If this assessment is positive, the registration is finally carried out by the responsible IHK or Chamber of Crafts. Once registered in the EMAS register, your organisation may bear the EMAS logo.
The entry in the register is valid for three years, for small organisations four years. It must then be extended. To keep the registration, your organization must provide an updated environmental statement each year.
- The environmental statement validated by an approved environmental verifier
- Forms: EMASRegistration form of your registration authority
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: no
- Implementation of an environmental assessment by the organization
- Establishment of an environmental management system
- Publication of an environmental statement
- Review of the management system and environmental statement by an approved expert
§ 33 Environmental Audit Act (UAG)
Articles 3 to 7 of Regulation (EC) No 1221/2009
Registration in the EMAS register is the final step towards the introduction of EMAS in your organisation:
- Your organization must first conduct an environmental assessment. This is used to determine what impact your organization has on the environment. As a result of the environmental assessment, your organization must issue an environmental statement.
- Independent environmental verifiers approved by the German Accreditation and Approval Society for Environmental Verifiers (DAU) check the environmental statement and the implementation of the EMAS requirements in the organisation.
- After validation, you must apply for entry in the EMASRegister at the chamber responsible for your organisation (IHK/HWK).
- The Board will examine your documents. It informs the lower Environmental Protection Agency about the planned registration. The authority has four weeks to comment on the registration.
- If there is no negative feedback from the lower Environmental Protection Agency, the Chamber will assign a registration number to your organization.
- After registration, you are entitled to use the EMASLogo for the duration of the registration. The validity is three or four years for small organizations.
- To maintain this, you must submit an updated environmental statement to the registrar each year.
Responsible for the content
Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce
Last update or date of publication