Take the basic qualification for professional drivers
Drivers in commercial road haulage or passenger transport must prove a special qualification in addition to their driving licence.
If you want to transport goods or people on the road for work, you must prove the so-called basic qualification for professional drivers in addition to the driving license.
This applies to drivers of vehicles with a permissible gross vehicle weight of more than 3.5 tonnes in road and own-account transport or of vehicles with more than eight passenger seats in passenger transport, insofar as a C or D-class driving licence is required to drive the vehicle/combination.
If you have already acquired your driving licence before 10.9.2008 (bus) or 10.9.2009 (truck), you do not have to prove any initial qualification ("possession").
Training as a professional driver is also recognised as a basic qualification for passenger and freight transport. Training as a specialist in driving operations is only recognised as a basic qualification for passenger transport, training as a road guard and as a plant firefighter only for freight transport
The Initial Qualification exam includes a theoretical exam and a practical exam.
To take the exam, you do not have to take a preparatory lesson.
A driving licence is also not required at the time of taking the exam.
If you have certificates of proficiency in accordance with the Ordinances on Access to the Profession for Road Haulage and Passenger Transport (GBZugV and PBZugV), simplifications are provided for in the theoretical parts of the examination. However, you must take the practical exam in full.
The type of examination differs depending on the existence of prerequisites:
- Standard examination "Basic qualification"
You must pass the standard examination if you are unable to provide proof of a specialist examination for road haulage or passenger transport ("transport manager examination") for the type of transport in question, nor if you have successfully passed an examination (accelerated) initial qualification for the other type of transport.
- Changeover examination "Basic qualification"
You can take the "Changeover" exam if you have already successfully passed the standard examination for the type of transport that is not the subject of the transfer test. For example, the accelerated initial qualification "transfer" training only deals with the specifics of the type of transport. For example, the future bus driver is given the knowledge of how to behave in relation to the passengers, as this was not part of his first initial qualification in freight transport. This also applies to drivers who have acquired the driving licence for the other type of transport before the respective deadline (acquis).
3. Lateral entry examination "Basic qualification"
You can take the "Quereinsteiger" exam if you have valid proof of a specialist examination for the type of transport for which the examination is to be taken. Since not all the knowledge that a driver must have is tested in the specialist examination, you must also acquire the initial qualification as the holder of a specialist certificate.
In order to be admitted to the examination, please submit the following documents to the responsible Chamber of Industry and Commerce with your registration:
- Rule check:
- No evidence required
- Proof of the type of transport that is not the subject of the transfer test - proof of a passed examination "initial qualification" / "accelerated initial qualification" according to BKrFQG or
- Driving licence with a valid entry of the key number 95 or
- Driving licence with a driving licence class acquired before the relevant cut-off date , or
- a driver qualification certificate in accordance with Annex II to Directive 2003/59/EC of 15 July 2003 (OJ No L226/4, 10.9.2003), or
- a driver attestation according to Appendix 3 BKrFQV or
- a driver attestation in accordance with Section 5 paragraph 3 BKrFQV
- Career changers
- Certificate of proficiency in accordance with the model set out in Annex III to Regulation (EC) No 1071/2009 for the type of transport subject to the lateral entrant examination.
- Forms: Registration for the exam
- Online procedure possible: partial
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance necessary: yes, for examination
- For the initial qualification test, you need a suitable test vehicle for the acceptance of the practical examination. If you do not have the opportunity to provide a suitable test vehicle, the Chamber of Industry and Commerce can arrange a suitable test vehicle for you on request.
- Furthermore, you must provide a driving instructor for the practical examination who is in possession of a valid driving instruction license for the driving license classes CE for freight transport or DE for passenger traffic. If you do not have the opportunity to provide a driving instructor who meets the above requirements, the IHK can arrange a corresponding driving instructor on request.
Journeys for specific purposes, such as:
- Police vehicles, fire brigade, emergency rescue by recognised rescue services carrying out transports within the scope of their tasks
- agricultural and forestry transport
are exempt from the obligation.
- § 2 paragraph 1 sentence 1 of the Act on the Initial Qualification and Further Training of Drivers of Certain Motor Vehicles for the Carriage of Goods by Road or Passenger (BKrFQG)
§ 1 Professional Driver Qualification Ordinance (BKrFQV)
You register with the locally responsible IHK for the examination and the examination dates (theoretical and practical examination) are coordinated.
- The Chamber of Industry and Commerce will confirm your registration for the examination
- You take the theoretical exam.
- After passing the theoretical examination, the practical examination takes place.
After passing both parts of the examination, you will receive a certificate from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce, which you will present to the driving licence office.
Responsible for the content
Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce
Last update or date of publication