Take the accelerated initial qualification for professional drivers
Drivers in commercial road haulage or passenger transport must prove a special qualification in addition to their driving licence.
If you want to transport goods or people on the road for work, you must prove a so-called basic qualification for professional drivers in addition to the driving license .
This applies to drivers of vehicles with a permissible gross vehicle weight of more than 3.5 tonnes in road and own-account transport or of vehicles with more than eight passenger seats in passenger transport, insofar as a C or D-class driving licence is required to drive the vehicle/combination.
In the case of the basic qualification, a distinction is made between the simple and the accelerated basic qualification.
You will acquire the accelerated initial qualification by participating in a training course at a recognised training institution and by successfully passing a theoretical examination at the Chamber of Industry and Commerce. Participation in classes is mandatory here. In the case of the theoretical examination, in turn, facilitations are provided for holders of specialist knowledge certificates in accordance with the Ordinances on Access to the Profession.
If you have already acquired your driving licence before 10.9.2008 (bus) or 10.9.2009 (truck), you do not have to prove any initial qualification ("possession").
You do not have to have a driving licence for the accelerated initial qualification.
The type of examination differs depending on the existence of prerequisites:
- Regular examination "Accelerated basic qualification"
You must pass the standard examination if you are unable to provide proof of a specialist examination for road haulage or passenger transport ("transport manager examination") for the type of transport in question, nor if you have successfully passed an examination (accelerated) initial qualification for the other type of transport.
- Transition examination "Accelerated basic qualification"
You can take the "Changeover" exam if you have already successfully passed the standard examination for the type of transport that is not the subject of the transfer test. For example, the training of accelerated basic qualification "transfer passengers" only deals with the specifics of the mode of transport. For example, the future bus driver is given the knowledge of how to behave with regard to the passengers, as this was not part of his first initial qualification in freight transport.
This also applies to drivers who have acquired the driving licence for the other type of transport before the respective reference date (acquis).
3. Lateral entry examination "Accelerated basic qualification"
You can take the "Quereinsteiger" exam if you have valid proof of a specialist examination for the type of transport for which the examination is to be taken.
Since not all the knowledge that a driver must have is tested in the specialist examination, you must also acquire the initial qualification as the holder of a specialist knowledge certificate.
Certificate of participation from the training institution
- Forms: Registration for the exam
- Online procedure possible: partial
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance necessary: yes, for examination
- For the "accelerated initial qualification" exam, you must have previously participated in appropriate training
- The prescribed scope varies depending on the type of test:
- Regular examination - 140 lessons of 60 minutes each, of which ten hours driving a motor vehicle of the relevant class
- Transfer - 35 lessons of 60 minutes each, of which 2.5 hours driving a motor vehicle of the relevant class
- Lateral entrants 96 lessons of 60 minutes each, of which ten hours driving a motor vehicle of the relevant class
Journeys for specific purposes, such as:
- Police vehicles, fire brigade, emergency rescue by recognised rescue services carrying out transports within the scope of their tasks
- Carriage by motor vehicles whose maximum permissible speed does not exceed 45 km/h
are exempt from the obligation.
§ 2 paragraph 2 of the Act on the Initial Qualification and Further Training of Drivers of Certain Motor Vehicles for the Carriage of Goods by Road or Passenger (BKrFQG)/
- § 2 Ordinance on the Implementation of the Professional Driver Qualification Act (Berufskraftfahrer-Qualifikations-Verordnung - BKrFQV)
For the accelerated initial qualification , you will attend a training course and then register with the locally responsible IHK for the examination. The certificate of participation from the training institution is a prerequisite for you to be able to register for the written examination.
- The Chamber of Industry and Commerce will confirm your registration for the examination.
- You take the theoretical exam.
After passing the exam, you will receive a certificate from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce, which you will present to the driver's license office.
Responsible for the content
Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce
Last update or date of publication