Applying for an extension of the residence permit for the purpose of research Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
You can extend your residence permit for the purpose of research before the end of its period of validity if you wish to continue your work as a researcher in Germany.
The residence permit for the purpose of research is a temporary residence permit. You can apply for the extension of the residence permit for the purpose of research if your work at a German research institution is to be continued beyond the period of validity of your residence permit.
Apply for the extension of your residence permit at least eight weeks before the expiry of the time limit at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
The same conditions apply to the renewal of the residence permit for the purpose of research as to the granting of it. In particular, you should be able to submit a hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution.
If you were obliged to participate in an integration course when you first issued your residence permit, this will be taken into account when extending your residence permit. If you have not yet taken part in an integration course, the Foreigners' Registration Office may reject your application for an extension of the residence permit. If you have not yet completed the integration course, the residence permit will only be extended by one year until you successfully complete it or provide proof that your integration into social life has taken place elsewhere.
In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. The residence permit for the purpose of research is extended for the duration of the research project.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.
- Valid passport or passport replacement
- Existing residence permit
- Current biometric photo
- Hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution for the implementation of the research project
- Proof of subsistence (incl. 3 proof of income from the last 3 months)
- Proof of your health insurance
- In case of obligation to participate in the integration course: certificate of successful participation in the integration course or other proof of integration efforts
- Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, which may also be offered online.
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement as well as the valid residence permit for the purpose of research according to § 18d paragraph 1 AufenthG.
- The validity period of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public benefits.
- You have a hosting agreement or corresponding contract for carrying out a research project at a research institution.
- In the case of the obligation to participate in the integration course by the Foreigners' Registration Office: You can prove successful participation in the integration course or provide proof that your integration into social life has taken place elsewhere.
§ 8 paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 18d paragraph 1 Residence Act (AufenthG)
The extension of your residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment for an interview at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (please bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eAT card.
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up your eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment varies depending on the authority.
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication