Applying for a residence permit for exceptional hardship cases
Extension of the residence permit due to special personal reasons or specificity of the individual case
You are in possession of a residence permit. An extension of your residence permit cannot be extended in accordance with the general regulations. A residence permit according to other regulations is also out of the question. Then this residence permit can be extended if, due to special circumstances of the individual case, leaving the Federal territory would mean an extraordinary hardship for you.
There must also be the general conditions for granting a residence permit (in particular livelihood security, clarified identity, no interest in expulsion).
The residence permit does not entitle you to work. It can be permitted on application by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
A residence requirement may be imposed on them.
You are entitled to social benefits (basic security for jobseekers according to the Social Code II or basic security in old age or in the event of reduced earning capacity according to the Social Code XII) and child benefit.
Family reunification is excluded.
You are not entitled to participate in an integration course. You can only be admitted to participate within the framework of available course places.
- Presentation of the currently valid residence permit
- current biometric photo
- Proof of identity, e.B passport, ID card, birth certificate, marriage certificate; Citizenship card
- Employment contract or binding job offer
- in the case of regulated professions: Your professional licence (e.g. licence to practise or practise a profession)
- Proof of your health insurance
Get from your local immigration authority
Online procedure possible: no
Personal appearance required: yes
- Possession of a residence permit
- No possibility of extending or issuing another residence permit
- Special circumstances of the individual case justify exceptional hardship
- Threat of enforceable obligation to leave the country
- Submission of the general grant requirements (e.g. livelihood security, sufficient living space, passport requirement)
- No interest in expulsion
- No entry and residence ban
Exceptional hardship can only be assumed if you are in an emergency situation that is significantly different from the situation of other foreigners.
§ 5 AufenthG
§ 12 AufenthG
§ 25 Abs. 4 S. 2 AufenthG
§ 29 Abs. 3 AufenthG
§ 44 AufenthG
§ 44a AufenthG
§ 78 AufenthG
§ 78a AufenthG
§ 45 AufenthV
§ 50 AufenthV
§ 53 AufenthV
As a rule, you must apply for the extension of your residence permit in person due to exceptional hardship.
Make an appointment with the local immigration authority. You can also find out on the respective website of the Ausländerbörde about the application process and which documents you have to submit in which form.
During your appointment, your fingerprints will be taken.
If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office instructs Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit. The residence permit takes the form of a credit card with additional electronic functions.
With regard to the duration of the procedure until the residence permit is handed over, please contact the competent immigration authority.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Last update or date of publication