Apply for a collective list as a travel facilitation for pupils
If you go on a school trip with students, they can also enter a country of the European Union and some other countries without a visa or passport with the collection list.
The student collection list is a form that facilitates school trips with a multinational class. It applies to school trips within the European Union as well as to Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway (European Economic Area).
Student collection list as a visa substitute
Students with third-country nationality and residence in Germany who would actually be required to have a visa in the destination country can exceptionally enter the country without a visa using the list. The student collection list makes it possible, for example, for students to take part in a school trip, even if an asylum procedure has not yet been completed.
If the teacher presents the student collection list at the border, the border guards of the Member States must allow the listed students to enter and leave the country without a visa. The students only show their passport or identity card when crossing the border.
Student collection list as a passport substitute
If a student does not have a passport or other valid travel document, the EU form will also be recognised as a passport substitute when crossing the border, provided that the list
- has been provided with a photo of the student, and
- has been certified and approved by the locally competent immigration authority.
With the approval, the Foreigners' Registration Office confirms that all listed students live in Germany and are entitled to return home.
The student collection list contains the following information:
- names, dates of birth and addresses of the pupils,
- Destination and duration of the school trip,
- if applicable, photos of students who do not have a passport.
It is advisable to ask for further information on the procedure in the specific case before travelling. To do so, please contact the embassy of the country of travel and the locally responsible immigration authority.
- if applicable, proof of affiliation to a general education school
- if applicable, proof of the school trip by booking data
- when used as a passport replacement: biometric photo
Please ask for all necessary documents at the local immigration authority.
Online procedure possible: Please ask the locally responsible immigration authority
Written form required: Please ask the locally responsible immigration authority
Personal appearance necessary: Please ask the locally responsible immigration authority. As a rule, the interview of a person commissioned by the school is necessary to pick up the list.
One or more participants of the trip are
- Pupils of a general or vocational school in Germany and
- Nationals of a third country (not: Germany, European Union, European Economic Area) residing in Germany.
When used as a visa replacement:
- The student needs a visa. You can find out which countries of origin require a visa and thus also a student collection list as a visa replacement on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.
When used as a passport substitute:
- A student does not have a passport or other valid travel document.
§ 4 paragraph 1 number 5 in conjunction with § 22 Residence Ordinance
§ 3 paragraph 3 number 6 Residence Ordinance
§ 48 Abs. 1 Nr. 7 Aufenthaltsverordnung (Gebüh r)
EU Council Decision on the adopted joint action on travel facilitation for pupils from third countries residing in a Member State (No 94/795/J of 30 November 1994)
You must apply for the collective list for pupils in writing:
- Please contact your local immigration authority. On request, you will receive the form "List of travellers for school trips within the European Union.
- Fill out the form completely.
- Have it signed and stamped by the school management.
- The list is therefore valid and, together with the passports of the students, serves as a visa replacement.
If you want to issue the list exclusively as a visa replacement, you do not need to go to the Foreigners' Registration Office again.
If you also want to issue the list as a passport replacement:
- In addition, stick a photo of the affected students on the list.
- Send the fully completed, signed and stamped list to your local immigration authority.
- The Foreigners' Registration Office checks the list. If approved, it shall affix a seal to the list. It serves as confirmation that all listed students live in Germany and are entitled to return home.
- After that, you will get the approved list back.
Responsible for the content
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Last update or date of publication